Break Light Comes On When Press Break Firmly Then Stop

akewlguy

When I push down on the brakes firmly my e-break light comes on for a second. Any ideas? There are no other times when the e-break comes on except when it is applied.

Kewl, are you moving at all when you do this? If you are, how tight is your ebrake pedal in general? Does the ebrake grab tightly with just a few clicks of the ebrake pedal itself? If so, the ebrake cable might be a little tight, especially with the cold air now tightening up things in the car. What might be happening "assuming you're moving forward" is when you stomp on the brake, and due to those rubber bushings, the rear wheel(s) might be shift back just slight enough to put a little pull on the ebrake cable.

If you take off your rear rotors, you should see on the bottom of the ebrake pads a silver little sprocket. This is the cable tensioner. Just one turn should probably do it to loosen it up just enough to give you a little bit more slack. But if you do this...don't turn it a lot, as you will come to find that you nolonger have an ebrake at all due to too much slack.....I learned this the hard way myself. Was a tedeous little chore getting it set right again on both wheels.

Or, it could be something else, like the magical loose wire on the back trunk hinge and so forth.

I do not remember, but isn't the "emergency brakes" warning lamp, the same as the "brake failure" light?

You have probably already checked it, but how is the brake fluid level?

Perhaps a faulty warning switch?

Keep us posted!

When I push down on the brakes firmly my e-break light comes on for a second. Any ideas? There are no other times when the e-break comes on except when it is applied.

We had this issue with my wife's LS. It was simply low brake fluid level. As your pads wear down, your fluid level will drop per the caliper movement. I topped off the fluid and haven't had the light come on since. Good luck!

We had this issue with my wife's LS. It was simply low brake fluid level. As your pads wear down, your fluid level will drop per the caliper movement. I topped off the fluid and haven't had the light come on since. Good luck!

Exactly... the level is right near the low indicator. When you brake hard (or even turn hard) the fluid will slosh to one side and trip the light.

You should be fixed for under $3 and 5 minutes of time.

I believe he is referring to the "emergency brake" light and not the "pad light".

The pad light (I'm assuming) indicates pad wear, or thickness... but the BRAKE light will indicate fluid level as well as the emergency brake. This exact problem has occured in two other, non-Lexus, vehicles I've driven. It was due to a slightly low brake fluid level both times.

All I can say is this - it takes one minute to pop the hood and check the fluid. If it's right at the "low" line you found your problem.

I just did the breaks on my ls400 a few day ago and had the same problem. I removed some fluid as I was recompressing the calipers and during the test drive the emergency break light would come on. check your fluid level first. It might be a little low. If the fluid level is good, cehck you cable...