Sirius Sportster

jpeter2338

Has anyone installed or figured out a good place to put a sirius sportster system in the GX? I like the idea of being able to take it from car to car (my husband has one) but dont know where to put it in the car or how to put it in so it doesnt look chincy. Also cant figure out how the antanna would work?

I installed a sportster on my gx and love it. The antenna is mounted on the roof, left rear at the base of the roof rack rail. Ran the line for the antennae through the headliner and to the center console. I put the base in the center console and rant the power supply to the fuse box so I didnt have to use the cig adapter. The results are awwsome. With the cover to the center console closed, you can't see it from the outside. Also, since the roof line is so high, you cannot even see the antenna. Be sure to leave about two feet of cord for the antenna and power supply to the base in the console so you can take the unit out and change channels, etc while you are in the car. Good luck.

I had the Sportster for couple of weeks and decided to go with the Lexus OEM Sirius system. I mounted the Sportster right next to the suspension setting control and it just made my car seem cluttered. Plus the music through FM was not impressive at all. The Lexus Sirius module sounds so much better. I do have to make a comment about the docking station. After 3 weeks of use(2 weeks in Lexus and 1 week in the Benz), connection between the Sportster and docking station became loose. Couple of minutes after I insert the Sportster it would lose antenna connection and I would have to press down on the Sportster to get antenna signal. But it would come loose again. This all happened when the Sportster is in lock position. Luckily I bought the Sportster from Crutchfield and I returned it and I now have the Startmate Replay for couple of weeks now. No problem at all plus it is smaller and more compact.

John

Where did you get the sirius lexus OEM system? Is the Starmate Replay part of this? Sorry if these are stupid questions:)

I had the Sportster for couple of weeks and decided to go with the Lexus OEM Sirius system. I mounted the Sportster right next to the suspension setting control and it just made my car seem cluttered. Plus the music through FM was not impressive at all. The Lexus Sirius module sounds so much better. I do have to make a comment about the docking station. After 3 weeks of use(2 weeks in Lexus and 1 week in the Benz), connection between the Sportster and docking station became loose. Couple of minutes after I insert the Sportster it would lose antenna connection and I would have to press down on the Sportster to get antenna signal. But it would come loose again. This all happened when the Sportster is in lock position. Luckily I bought the Sportster from Crutchfield and I returned it and I now have the Startmate Replay for couple of weeks now. No problem at all plus it is smaller and more compact.

John

Where did you get the sirius lexus OEM system? Is the Starmate Replay part of this? Sorry if these are stupid questions:)

John

I purchased the Lexus Sirius module and the ES330 fit kit from the dealer. You can also purchase these parts from www.lexus-parts.com under the ES330 section. For 2005 GX470 the ES330 or the LX470(2005 only) will work with the GX470. Once installed you can control the SAT function through the steering wheel and voice activation, and of course through the touch screen. Starmate Replay is only for my Mercedes only because Mercedes OEM kit isn't available for 2001 and 2002 models.

My dealer was going to charge me $529 for the parts and installation but I decided to do it myself because I like to tinker with my car :) It took me about couple of hours for the installation. There is a link for removing the NAV at the www.clublexus.com Once you pull out the NAV unit it is a simple "plug-n-play" installation.

John

• 2 weeks later...

06 GX470 - Has anyone tried the ES kit on an 06?? It would be nice to know if it works before trial and error. I picked up an 06 GX yesterday - called the parts department today who said that there is NO way to integrate Sirius OR XM into the factory stereo. I have integrated Sirius in my Bimmer and LOVE it!