Is350 Vs 330i

Hi. People, I've read a lot of reviews comparing these two cars and on most of them, they all say that the IS350 wins in every category other than the "driving fun" one. They say that the 330i has better handling just because of the VDIM in the IS350. Not that they say that the IS350 sucks, but they say that it comes close, but isn't able to dethrone the 330i.

Now, any of you guys test driven both of these cars or has the IS350. What is your opinion on it?

Thank you.

Bye.

I've had my 350 since the introduction. It's a great car in every way and it's gotta be the most impressive, smoothest, in its class. If you want to play on the edge, there is a way to disable the VDIM. However, you've really got to be in bad shape, driving wise, before VDIM even kicks in.

Even if someone considered the IS350 and 330i to be equal in all the driving aspects, the Lexus quality and reliability ought to settle that issue.

I've had my 350 since the introduction. It's a great car in every way and it's gotta be the most impressive, smoothest, in its class. If you want to play on the edge, there is a way to disable the VDIM. However, you've really got to be in bad shape, driving wise, before VDIM even kicks in.

Even if someone considered the IS350 and 330i to be equal in all the driving aspects, the Lexus quality and reliability ought to settle that issue.

turning the VDIM system is a like video game cheat code. its almost, funny.

These were the 2 cars I was interested in when I made my purchase. The Lexus obviously won because of a few reasons. There is no denying BMW's feel and drive, it is superb. For me, the Lexus was simply more comfortable and "fit" my needs better. I like the reliability factor involved with the Lex and have heard nothing but praise on their service.

All of the 330's I drove had the "sport package" on them and they were simply uncomfortable. The 350 is where it's at.

My last 2 cars were BMW M3's; a '97 5-spd and an '01 6-spd. I have been looking for a replacement for my M3. My comfort point for price is ~$50K. In my search process, I have driven the following cars:

BMW E46 M3

BMW E90 330i.

BMW 545i

MazdaSpeed 6

Mazda RX-8

Honda S-2000

Acura RL

Acura TL

Audi S4

Audi TT

C6 Corvette

Saab 9.3 Aero

Volvo S60R

Nissan 350Z

Infiniti G35 Coupe

After driving all these cars, I bought the Lexus IS350. I had said I would never buy a 4-door car or one with an automatic transmission. However, the IS was just too good to pass up. It's not quite as fast as the M3's, but it is significantly faster than the 330i, and what it adds in luxury, refinement and ergonomics makes it a no-brainer, (at least for me, at this point in my life).

Comparing directly to the BMW 330i:

-The acceleration is much better.

-The seats are better.

-The driving position is better.

-The visiblity is better.

-The stereo is better.

-The displays are better

-The controls are much more intuitive and easier to use.

-The styling is much better, (except for possibly the sculpted tailights).

-Did I mention, the acceleration is much better.

In terms of handling and road feel, I don't think the differences between these cars are as distinct as the reviews have portrayed. The IS350 doesn't "beat" the BMW, but it is very close to being its' equal in handling. The BMW is somewhat more communicative and has better steering feedback and road-feel, but again, these edges are slight. More importantly, the acceleration edge of the Lexus is so great that I'm sure I could get the IS350 around a track quicker than the 330i, especially a track with some long straights where the increased hp and torque could really improve lap times. This edge in acceleration may be narrowed next fall when BMW introduces the 335i, but for right now, the Lexus holds th upper hand.

The technologic toys in both of these cars are incredible. The difference is that, in the Lexus, they are MUCH easier to use. BMW's i-Drive system is not at all intuitive; whereas the IS350's user interface is quite logical and intuitive. Without looking at the manual, my daughter and I had the whole nav system figured out in about 5 minutes. I spent a half-hour with the BMW salesman and never did get the hang of i-Drive.

As far as the VDIM is concerned, if the VDIM is kicking in, it means the driver is doing something wrong. For example, when exiting a turn, if the driver punch's the "go-pedal" too early or too hard, the VDIM will reduce the throttle input to an acceptable level. It may even apply the anti-lock brakes to slow the vehicle down a little bit. It will do all this to keep the vehicle "in shape" and under the driver's control.

Lexus's VDIM is very similar to BMW's ASC, (Automatic Stability Control). The BMW system is a little less intrusive than the VDIM, and on the track, this can be a problem. The Lexus system won't let you "drift" the car through corners. It won't let you "hang the tail out" and it certainly won't let you do donuts. For this reason, many reviewers find the BMW system to be less intrusive and, therefore "better." However, for the VAST majority of street use, the VDIM can and will keep many drivers from exceeding the limits of their cars' handling capabilities. I am told that there is a procedure available to completely shut the system off. However, it should probably only be used under two very strict criteria; 1) on a track and, 2) with a very experienced driver at the helm. Short of these criteria, the VDIM should probably be left in full-functional mode.

Overall I found the IS350 to be as much fun to drive as my M3's. The acceleration is great. The handling is everything I could ask for. It's a definite step up in refinement, luxury and technology. The bottom line is this: if you want a slower car that will provide better "road-feel", get a BMW. If you want a car that will do EVERYTHING ELSE better and easier, and look better doing it, get the IS350.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions, and should be viewed as such.

Craig