Is 350 Tire Sensors

Hi just bought IS350 wonderful car! But now winter is here, so I bought tire wheel package from Tire Rack , Pirelli 240 18'' snow sport great tire plus senors, $110 a tire! Plus Karenza wheels. I had them installed Saturday. I initialized the system and set the program to second set. Everything worked for 24 hours then the tire sensor warning light came on. Checked pressures everthing was fine so I took into Lexus of Cherry Hill yesterday. They told that each sensor has an ID that has to inputed into the computer. I called Tire Rack they said nonsence! They have sold a significanyt number and no poblem encountered. I called another dealership who said the same thing as Cherry Hill each sensor has an ID which has to entered onto the car's computer. So who's right? It looks like it will cost me $250 to have the tires taken apart so they can read the sensors or alternatively I can drive around with a warning light on for 4 months. So I can't be the first IS 350 owner who has changed their wheels for winter. What have other's encounterd?

Martin.

Hi just bought IS350 wonderful car! But now winter is here, so I bought tire wheel package from Tire Rack , Pirelli 240 18'' snow sport great tire plus senors, $110 a tire!  Plus Karenza wheels. I had them installed Saturday. I initialized the system and set the program to second set. Everything worked for 24 hours then the tire sensor warning light came on. Checked pressures everthing was fine so I took into Lexus of Cherry Hill yesterday. They told that each sensor has an ID that has to inputed into the computer. I called Tire Rack they said nonsence!  They have sold a significanyt number and no poblem encountered. I called another dealership who said the same thing as Cherry Hill each sensor has an ID which has to entered onto the car's computer. So who's right? It looks like it will cost me $250 to have the tires taken apart so they can read the sensors or alternatively I can drive around with a warning light on for 4 months. So I can't be the first IS 350 owner who has changed their wheels for winter. What have other's encounterd?

Martin.

The dealer is right, there is like a serial number or something like that on the sensors that need to be entered into the computer.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted a response in another topic, but I went ahead and purchased tires from the dealer and let them install them on my existing wheels.

Thanks to you and your post for alerting me to the problems of buying from another retailer, as it relates to TPMS.

Dave

IS350, Blizzak LM25s on the OEM wheels.

Just a follow up to my original post.Lexus entered the id's of my tire sensors into the cars computer and everthing worked fine for 24hrs. Then my warning light came on again! I went back to Lexus and they found one of my sensors was bad. So a week later when a new sensor came in they replaced it for free. which was amazing as it wasn't even alexus sensor. Also Tire Rack acknowleded they were wrong and have covered the cost of $200 Lexus originally charged me for entering the ID's. So here's the scoop on a second set of wheels for the I350. (Note you NEED snow tires if they came with the summer variety. Driving in snow with summer tires is dangerious, I know from prior experince with a Volvo 850.) If you change tires and not wheels just make sure the existings sensors fit the tire the tire dealer should tell you, but this method is a pain as you have change twice a year and this will scratch your wheels up. Alternatley go with a performance all season but you compromise with performance and handling in both seasons. The best and most expensive option is to buy a new set of wheels and tires. Total cost for me was $2000, The tire sensors were $110 each.

18 " Pirelli 240 Snow sport and Karenza 18" wheels

Yes ouch but they are great and road noise is really quiet, of course it hasn't snowed yet in S. Jersey but the winter is young, Happy New Year to All! Martin. (Here's a pic of new set. )

post-22151-1136144081_thumb.jpg

Is this only a problem if you change wheels? Putting snow tires on the existing wheels won't cause a problem, will it?

Craig

I had the dealer do it for me, that way I knew if there was a problem they'd take care of it. I don't want to entrust my car to any corner tire shop.

Dave