Rx300 Front Strut Mount Change

gregthehand

Hi I'm new to the group, and I'm looking to get information on changing out the front struts on a '99 Lexus RX300 AWD. So far I have found the parts, and I am very mechanically competent, and I know I'll have the right tools. Having said all that I can't find anything online that goes through the procedure so I will know what to expect. The mechanic at the dealership says the strut mounts are "collapsed", and will need to be replaced. All I have been able to find so far is someone saying that it is not that hard and should take no more than three hours. Any help, or suggested reading?

Thanks,

Greg

:cheers:

You have to remove the entire strut first. Take the wheel off, disconnect the lower strut to axle bolt. Then remove the upper strut mount bolts (three). remove the brake line from the strut and the torsion bar rod also. Push the strut out of the axle by pushing down and swing the bottom of the strut out while pulling the entire assembly downwards. You will need a set of spring compressors to remove the strut mount as you have to compress the spring before removing the upper strut mount bolt. You have to be very careful as the strut has a keyed upper shaft which fits in the strut mount. When replacing the mount the key must line up before tightening the bolt.

Hi I'm new to the group, and I'm looking to get information on changing out the front struts on a '99 Lexus RX300 AWD.  So far I have found the parts, and I am very mechanically competent, and I know I'll have the right tools.  Having said all that I can't find anything online that goes through the procedure so I will know what to expect.  The mechanic at the dealership says the strut mounts are "collapsed", and will need to be replaced.  All I have been able to find so far is someone saying that it is not that hard and should take no more than three hours.  Any help, or suggested reading? 

Thanks,

Greg

Many shops have a tool specifically designed to compress the spring. Most are air operated and work very well. Some are mechanical like a scissor jack with little claws on it. At my shop if someone brought in the strut and wanted the stuff swapped over to the new strut I would charge $30.00 flat fee or $50.00 if we were doing both...

Hey that is cool, never thought to ask a shop if they would compress spring. The only item being changed over is the upper strut mount bushing. The original strut and spring will remain. I use two spring compressors that are tightened with a socket wrench.

I recently found out that Toyota uses the same strut mount for all models of Camry platform: ES, Camry V6, RX. However RX weight more than its sedan sisters and has a much higher payload limit. Could it be that these strut mounts that were designed for sedan are not strong enough to support RX's additional weight.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head regarding several of the RX series' known problems. Converting a small sedan platform into an SUV is likely to cause issues with the suspension, transmission, and drive train unless those components are re-engineered to handle the greater weight and torque brought about in creating a heavier and more ponderous vehicle from a lightweight sedan chassis.

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm new to the group, and I'm looking to get information on changing out the front struts on a '99 Lexus RX300 AWD. So far I have found the parts, and I am very mechanically competent, and I know I'll have the right tools. Having said all that I can't find anything online that goes through the procedure so I will know what to expect. The mechanic at the dealership says the strut mounts are "collapsed", and will need to be replaced. All I have been able to find so far is someone saying that it is not that hard and should take no more than three hours. Any help, or suggested reading?

Thanks,

Greg

Wondering if our problems are similar. I have a lot of noise coming from my front right strut when both cold and going over small bumps. Are these similar problems to yours?

sm

Your front rubber strut mount bushings have worn out and failed. It's a well-known issue that is documented in Lexus Technical Service Bulletin SU002-99. Your original factory-installed rubber bushings were improperly designed and poorly made. The new rubber bushings are better shaped to fit the strut mount components and are supposedly better made as well. New bushings will resolve your noise problem.

If you approach your dealership with knowledge of TSB SU002-99 and ask them to replace your bushings at no charge to you since this is definitely a faulty part, they may opt to do so under a goodwill warranty program depending upon your mileage. Our dealership did so in January 2005 at about 79,000 miles. If the dealership won't fully cover the cost, then negotiate a partial coverage deal with them. Be professional but stay firm. Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

If you approach your dealership with knowledge of TSB SU002-99 and ask them to replace your bushings at no charge to you since this is definitely a faulty part, they may opt to do so under a goodwill warranty program depending upon your mileage. Our dealership did so in January 2005 at about 79,000 miles. If the dealership won't fully cover the cost, then negotiate a partial coverage deal with them. Be professional but stay firm. Good luck to you.

i have a funny rattle from my suspension as well, i have a 99 with 82000 miles. If the dealer wont do a good will warranty, do you have an idea of how much it should cost if they had partial coverage? would i be better off just trying another dealer?

how much are the mounts themselves, cost for parts? Would i have to do an alignment afterwards?

thanks William