Castrol Gear Lube

lenore

Hey does anybody know if the Castrol Gear Lube (full synthetic) 75w-90w sold at walmart is Ok for the transfer and differential case if it says meets GL-5 specs?

And what does Type C gear oil mean. It says it cannot be used for that purpose.

Hey does anybody know if the Castrol Gear Lube (full synthetic) 75w-90w sold at walmart is Ok for the transfer and differential case if it says meets GL-5 specs?

And what does Type C gear oil mean.  It says it cannot be used for that purpose.

Lenore, not sure about Type C but I used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic to change out my front and rear differentials. Cost me a little over $8 at Autozone. BTW, the front drain plug is a pain to remove, be very patient since there is not enough space to fit two "claws" on my Craftsman 15/16 open ended wrench. You can easily strip the soft alloy plug, I just angle the wrench until I get a good grip.

And what does Type C gear oil mean.  It says it cannot be used for that purpose.

Lenore, not sure about Type C but I used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic to change out my front and rear differentials. Cost me a little over $8 at Autozone. BTW, the front drain plug is a pain to remove, be very patient since there is not enough space to fit two "claws" on my Craftsman 15/16 open ended wrench. You can easily strip the soft alloy plug, I just angle the wrench until I get a good grip.

Any problem with the Mobil synthetic mixing with residual (undrained) gear oil? Any special flushing/decontamination required before adding the Mobil synthetic?

Any problem with the Mobil synthetic mixing with residual (undrained) gear oil? Any special flushing/decontamination required before adding the Mobil synthetic?

If you are concerned, just drive around for one month and do it over again. Gear oil lubes, synthetic gives you less bubbles thus lower temperature. lower weight 75 vs 80 at cold means there is more lubrication when you start driving. Remember a wax like thick oil does not lube well, oil that flows better lubes better. Even with the same weight, synthetic tends to have lower viscousity.