A Moment's Inattention

BillyC

On the way to work this morning, the traffic was moving at idle speed and then stopped. I had looked away for a moment and ran into the vehicle in front of me. That vehicle suffered minor damage to it's rear bumper, however, since it was an SUV the bumper rode over the top of the front bumper of my 91LS400 and did major damage (broken headlights, broken grille, buckled hood). I really like to drive this car, but now I am faced with the problem of having to put 2 to 3 thousand into repairing it (no collision insurance, just liability) or to do what with it? Have any of you faced this situation? What did you decide to do?

TIA.

BillyC

N. Alabama

get a used front clip for $1000 hopefully already the right colour.

Try tap recycling.

Also if you can go without the car. Talk to a body shop about cutting a deal with them. For cutting the price, you let them work on the car on slow days. Takes a lot longer to get fixed, but you save money and the shop has work for thier guys to do, on those slow days.

My wife did nearly the same thing with the LS two years ago. Buckled the hood, inner headlights, broke the condensor, upper rad support bent, grill and so on. Rad was not damaged, engine mounts sheared off. Neither fender damaged. No frame damage. As there were no used parts available, the car was fixed with new Lexus parts only. Cost nearly $10,000.00 Can. $4500.00 in parts alone. Insurance paid. Car looks great, can't even find the damage. Front looks better than the rear.

Yours will be pricey too. It is the nature of these cars to be pricey.