I Just Hit A Big Deer On I94

Black Lex

Last night I tried to miss but clipped a deer moving into my lane on the interstate.

my wife was sleeping when she awoke to a big thump on her side of the car.

When she looked at me fighting to regain control of the car fishtailing at 70MPH

she thought this was the end. A couple of seconds later we were under control and

I was telling her we just hit a deer.

I am glad that we had just stopped to top off the gas tank and that we had put

all the luggage into the trunk . That extra weight in the back helped I think to regain

control. Earlier in the day I notice low pressure in one of the tires and checked them

all I firmed them all up with proper pressure . I am glad for that also.

Now I now why they say not to swerve away from deer during high speed just

take the hit and stay in control . The LS performed Quite well .

Does anybody know how to replace rearview mirror on my 94 LS? other than

that and a broken marker light assy. and a some slight wrinkles in the side of the

door the LS took the hit pretty well.

I am most thankfull that my wife an I are OK.

Yeah, that can be very scary. I was driving my mothers car about a month ago up the highway and a deer ran out in front of us. We were going about 50 mph when we hit it. It came out of nowhere. It hit hard and it went up over the hood, onto the windshield and over the top of the car. Luckily, it did not come inside the car. Also, if it had of been over a little to the right, it would have directly hit the airbag sensor and deployed the airbags. Thankfully they did not. Antlers were hitting the windshield and all. It was nerve wrecking. :unsure:

We got the car off of the road and I shut it off quickly. I knew there was moderate damage. Ironically a county police was coming down and saw it happen. He came over quickly. It did not kill the deer, but two legs were broken. Needless to say, he had to put it down. I felt really bad. The medics came and checked us out. My arms were numb (from the shock I guess) and mothers chest was hurting. She was very shaken up. We had to wait for the state police to arrive. He said one had been hit there only two days before. That is a bad spot and they have deer crossing signs about there. It dented the hood badly, busted lights and grille. It bent the radiator back badly, but believe it or not, it was not leaking. <_<

It is a 97' Oldsmobile Achieva SL, so book value is not that much. They gave mom $1600 in damages after $500 deductible. Dad got the parts from a friend for $100 and we did some pulling with the truck/chain and got the radiator support pulled back out so the hood would latch. The hood he got was hail damaged, so we bent the old hood back amd kept it for a while. He got the new hood repaired and primed to paint, but we have to wait for a 65*+ day to paint it. The grille was out of a 92 model, which has the chrome, unlike the 97' but it will work for now. :whistles:

Bad news is that the A/C compressor is now not clicking on. We think that perhaps the condensor was damaged in the crash. We will do a leak test to find out. Luckily, it has the R134a system. <_<

Here are photos of the crash. The one with the black hood is after some of the repairs. :closedeyes:

BTW- another about ran out in front of us about a week ago! We have since placed "deer warnings" on the car. So far, seems to work. <_<

BTW - it was a nine pointer. ;) A peice that was hitting the glass is pictured. The first photos was the same night it happened.

post-4085-1134454649_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134454668_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134454683_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134454711_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134454726_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134454743_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134454783_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1134455001_thumb.jpg

i saw something on tv that might help. there is a "deer whistle" of some sort that is supposed to alert deer of your vehicle so that they get scared an run away!? it's not like a whistle, but a small device that sends out a sound, kinda like a dog whistle but with the opposite effect. sorry dont have too much info on it there's, not to many deer where i live, but someone else might.

Yeah, we actually put them on the front of the car (above). They go on the bumper. We were able to place them in a spot where they are not that noticable. I bought some for my Mercedes as well, but have not installed them yet.

They are supposed to work great. My uncle in Raleigh knows a guy that rides a Harley and deer was always running in front of him. He installed those whistlers and not one has approached him since.

They can be purchased @ Wal-Mart for around $5.00, or surely they are available @ your favorite auto parts store.

i saw something on tv that might help. there is a "deer whistle" of some sort that is supposed to alert deer of your vehicle so that they get scared an run away!? it's not like a whistle, but a small device that sends out a sound, kinda like a dog whistle but with the opposite effect. sorry dont have too much info on it there's, not to many deer where i live, but someone else might.