Ls400 '99 Brick-road Noise From Wheel

Lexus Itch

I love my 99 LS400 for every thing but the noise it makes from the wheel when I drive into a rough road, old bricked road- for example. Also, I am very frustrated when the car go through a bump or a chicken-hole on the road. It is a painful feeling. My old Acura didn't do that to me. I brough the car to SouthAtlanta Lex Dealer, they couldn't fix the problem. I changed two new front suspensions, but they did not help at all.

I've own the car for 4 yrs now. For every time I drive the car with someone, I always afraid that he would tell me: "I never though a Lexus would be like that.."

Should I get it fixed or just to bear with the un-comfortable feeling until I buy the new one in 5 yrs?

Is the noise a banging noise, like metal on metal? I'm wondering if the steering rack gromments "bushings" are bad? Don't worry...not expensive at all! And no real labor involved in replacing them. Do this: Turn the wheel all the way to the left and turn off the car. Take a flash light and look behind the front passenger side wheel into the steering rack. You should beable to see them easily. You'll see the rack "tube" sitting there. On the end(s) of the rack there are U shaped brackets that hold down the rack. Those brackets are insulated with a rubber bushing. They're like $17 bucks each and you only need two, one for each side.

www.lexuspartsonline.com in the collision catelog. They're #2 in the picture below.

post-15797-1133469931_thumb.jpg

The first obvious suspect are the tires. Are they worn, summer,

or snow tires? You may be one of the few who find the road noise

of the Lexus annoying. These cars have excellent decibel ratings

under perfect road conditons, but they litterally roar over rough roads.

You may want to be more descriptive of the noise.

Thank you NC211,

I've check the brackets, those rubbers are fine. In fact, most of the time, the noise seems to come from the steeringwheel's neck. It sounds like when you have two block of dry hard wood in your glove box. The sound is much clearer when I drive through an old brick road or railroads- slowly .

When the car stop, key's out, I move the steeringwheel shortly but rapidly, it make a similar sound, not exactly the same though.

The noise is not that bad, but, as you know Lexus LS is super quiet, it does bother a bit.

jschunke is exactly right. On the highway, there is no car can come closer to LS400's quietness, none. But it does torture your feeling on the rough road, especially when you hit the break on a rough road curve. I hope the newer model is doing better because I hate seeing myself in non-Lexus car.

By the way, I just got a new set of Bridgestone Turanza LS last 4 months.

Thanks

jschunke is exactly right. On the highway, there is no car can come closer to LS400's quietness, none. But it does torture your feeling on the rough road, especially when you hit the break on a rough road curve. I hope the newer model is doing better because I hate seeing myself in non-Lexus car.

Thanks

Thank you for those words of wisdom. I am a new owner of a 93LS400. And was statring to wonder about " those " noises. this is a great car!

Thanks

have you driven a cadillac lately?? that northstar engine is a lot quieter than the ls...

Thank you NC211,

I've check the brackets, those rubbers are fine. In fact, most of the time, the noise seems to come from the steeringwheel's neck. It sounds like when you have two block of dry hard wood in your glove box. The sound is much clearer when I drive through an old brick road or railroads- slowly .

When the car stop, key's out, I move the steeringwheel shortly but rapidly, it make a similar sound, not exactly the same though.

The noise is not that bad, but, as you know Lexus LS is super quiet, it does bother a bit.

there is a bushing in the firewall where the steering column goes in to it, if its worn out, the column will "bang" on the firewall. not a hard fix. also Check your strut rods and upper ball joints. ill bet one or the other is the culprit.