Gas Tank Inaccurate Reading?

Strange thing happened today. Gas light came on today, and gas indicator was just barely above the empty line. However, when I filled up the tank, I only put in 13.23 gallons. So if the gas tank capacity is 17.2, then why would the light come with 3 gallons left in the tank - roughly 75 miles till empty?

Could Lexus be purposely lowering the indicator to make sure we don't run out - which I hear is a big no-no with hybrids.

I know I filled up because the indicator was slightly past the full line when I started up the car. Even if you're getting 15.2, thats still 2 extra gallons in the tank, approximately 50-60 miles left in your mileage.

All other cars that I have owned, which measured miles till empty, would usually flash the light with 10-15 miles left.

I'm thinking they still have the RX330 gas indicators in these cars, which would have about 30 miles left with 2 gallons remaining, which would warrant a flashing gas light.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I filled up because the indicator was slightly past the full line when I started up the car.  Even if you're getting 15.2, thats still 2 extra gallons in the tank, approximately 50-60 miles left in your mileage. 

All other cars that I have owned, which measured miles till empty, would usually flash the light with 10-15 miles left. 

I'm thinking they still have the RX330 gas indicators in these cars, which would have about 30 miles left with 2 gallons remaining, which would warrant a flashing gas light.

Every car I have owned began fuel warnings with 50 miles to go.

• 4 months later...

you have to take in account the reserve tank of the cars, which is roughly 3 gallons or so. Lexus makes the gas indicator very confusing, yet if you feel like its not consistent, get it checked out my your dealer cause the gas indicator lever mabobber is a common problem and needs to get fixed. that is, if you feel like its going up or down upon startup, get it checked.