1999 Rx300 Stereo Problem - 2 Inputs At Once

ihateduke

I have a totally stock stereo system with a 6-disk CD changer. Today I was riding home and listening to a regular CD, that I've listened to a 100 times. After about 12 minutes, the sound was very strange. After a few seconds of listening I realized that it was the radio plus the CD. It literally was playing both at the same time. The display still showed CD. I chose the FM option and nothing happened, then it jumped to Tape and back to Radio, then CD. But the audio stayed the same. I turned it off and back on and it was still screwed up.

I cut the car off and it's currently fine.

Any ideas?

I have a totally stock stereo system with a 6-disk CD changer.  Today I was riding home and listening to a regular CD, that I've listened to a 100 times.  After about 12 minutes, the sound was very strange.  After a few seconds of listening I realized that it was the radio plus the CD.  It literally was playing both at the same time.  The display still showed CD.  I chose the FM option and nothing happened, then it jumped to Tape and back to Radio, then CD.  But the audio stayed the same.  I turned it off and back on and it was still screwed up.

I cut the car off and it's currently fine. 

Any ideas?

Did you buy the RX new? Has there ever been a fm modulator installed?

Yes, I bought it brand new and nothing has been added to the main stereo. I did add an amp, which is tapped into the stock subwoofer and powers a new sub. It doesn't send any signal to the stereo and I've had it for over 2 years.

Yes, I bought it brand new and nothing has been added to the main stereo.  I did add an amp, which is tapped into the stock subwoofer and powers a new sub.  It doesn't send any signal to the stereo and I've had it for over 2 years.

Have you checked the connections that you made when you installed the aftermarket amp?

I haven't changed anything around them, but they connect to the speaker output from the stereo to the stock amp. Those lines don't receive signal. Plus, they only send signal to my amp. I would think that any problem with the amp would just affect the sound, not combine the signals that are going to the regular speakers.

It was a total overlap of FM and CD. I'm worried that this is the beginning of everything breaking on my car. I just reached 100k. :(

I haven't changed anything around them, but they connect to the speaker output from the stereo to the stock amp.  Those lines don't receive signal.  Plus, they only send signal to my amp.  I would think that any problem with the amp would just affect the sound, not combine the signals that are going to the regular speakers.

It was a total overlap of FM and CD.  I'm worried that this is the beginning of everything breaking on my car.  I just reached 100k.  :(

Let me look into this, I will have a answer, Your RX will last you a long time heck 100K it's just broke in.

I haven't changed anything around them, but they connect to the speaker output from the stereo to the stock amp.  Those lines don't receive signal.  Plus, they only send signal to my amp.  I would think that any problem with the amp would just affect the sound, not combine the signals that are going to the regular speakers.

It was a total overlap of FM and CD.  I'm worried that this is the beginning of everything breaking on my car.  I just reached 100k.  :(

Let me look into this, I will have a answer, Your RX will last you a long time heck 100K it's just broke in.

OK, Has the RX been in a damp or wet enviroment lately? It is probably a short in the faceplate circuit board. In which case you would need a new headunit.

It has been raining for the last day or so and it has been very humid/warm.  I'll keep an eye on this and see how it responds tomorrow.

Thank you for all of your help.

ihateduke, If you find that there is a problem with the headunit I can help you out with replacement or refurb on the unit, Keep us posted, Thanx :cheers:

It has been raining for the last day or so and it has been very humid/warm.  I'll keep an eye on this and see how it responds tomorrow.

Thank you for all of your help.

ihateduke, If you find that there is a problem with the headunit I can help you out with replacement or refurb on the unit, Keep us posted, Thanx :cheers:

ihateduke, Any change in the sound?