Rear Carrier Bushings Torn

92silverls400

took my 92 LS400 to the dealership for oil change and filter, had a $20 coupon off the regular price of $49.95, figure i needed a car wash also, and the dealership does wash your car after they do the service. :P

service writer stated that my rear carrier bushing (torn) needs to be replaced, cost about $500 My question to you all, should I replace the bushing, I have 169,252 miles on my car, I paid $5k for this car last year in Sept. Whats your opinion?

I also need to replace my rear brakes also, 1MM remaining, and 8mm for my front brakes.

Unless the service guy was able to point out a clear problem that you could see yourself, I'd get another opinion. They probably want to make some money off of you.

My mom had her Camry in for an oil change and something else and they said her brakes were 90% worn. I told her not to get any work done and that I would do it. After going through the trouble of getting the parts, I pulled the first wheel off and found they they were only 50% worn. These are the original pads on an 01 Camry...so she won't be going through the rest anytime soon.

Unless the service guy was able to point out a clear problem that you could see yourself, I'd get another opinion.  They probably want to make some money off of you.

My mom had her Camry in for an oil change and something else and they said her brakes were 90% worn.  I told her not to get any work done and that I would do it.  After going through the trouble of getting the parts, I pulled the first wheel off and found they they were only 50% worn.  These are the original pads on an 01 Camry...so she won't be going through the rest anytime soon.

MadMax96

you were correct, took my car to a independent machanic, he checked the rear carrier bushing, couldn't find anything wrong with them. :chairshot: down with the stealership

was told by competent mechanic that it wouldn't really do all that much damage if i did not deal with the worn carrier bushings on my car (actually, they were cracked). i had him replace them anyway. what it did do was get rid of a clunking noise coming from the rear. he charged a flat rate of 350, including the cost of the parts. cost of his brake job was $129 (he's running a special until Dec. 1), which includes resurfacing rotors if they need it. good luck!

I would go back to the dealer and ask them to see what it looks like.

Then follow up if it is infact not damaged with head office.

erm, meant to say until january 1...he's located in glendale...let me know i fyou want info...

was told by competent mechanic that it wouldn't really do all that much damage if i did not deal with the worn carrier bushings on my car (actually, they were cracked).  i had him replace them anyway. what it did do was get rid of a clunking noise coming from the rear. he charged a flat rate of 350, including the cost of the parts.  cost of his brake job was $129 (he's running a special until Dec. 1), which includes resurfacing rotors if they need it.  good luck! 
I would go back to the dealer and ask them to see what it looks like.

Then follow up if it is infact not damaged with head office.

• 4 weeks later...

The rear carrier bushes are flimsy at best and any LS over 10 years should have them replaced. My LS is a 1990 model and both were falling apart. Cost me $58 to do it myself for both. Check them by using a large screwdriver to check movements. Its the bush with the rod that goes forward on the rear wheel. After doing these i noticed an instant improvement in handling.