Wheel...........

Bourne33065

Hi, I have recently been experiencing some wierd viberations on my 93'SC400. It seems that around 45 to 50 miles per hour there are some abnormal viberations that were not there before. I recently had some trouble with the back left tire, but I plugged it. Also on turns the car feels shakey and not like it used to, it is very sensitive to little things in the road. Also I have been told, and I looked myself and I have seen it, the back left tire (the same one that I plugged) the front part of the tire seems to be tiliting inward toward the right. I think that may be the cause of the viberations, could it be?But what can or could have caused the inward shift? And what should I do about it? Is it a serious problem?

Another question: I was told that on some cars that the back tires move slightly along with the front ones to give better stability while turning, is this true? And if so does the SC400 have this?

well that could be many things. first of all check your arm bushings and steering rack bushings. easiest way to check for rack bushings is to jack the car up and try to move the wheel by turning it from the out side. if the bushing is bad then there will be alot of play and maybe a knocking sound. after checking bushings. tires. then allignment unless you hit some big pot holes in which case both your tires and allignment could be off.

as for the 4 wheel steering (which i think you are trying to describe) isnt on the SC. some cars like the nissan 240 sx or skyline gt-r's had what is called HICAS. which would steer the rear wheels also. and some of the older preludes had that too.

Ok, thank you. If it is the brushings is it a serious problem? And how much would it cost to fix? Thanks for the all the info, it is much appreciated. :cheers:

well that could be many things. first of all check your arm bushings and steering rack bushings. easiest way to check for rack bushings is to jack the car up and try to move the wheel  by turning it from the out side. if the bushing is bad then there will be alot of play and maybe a knocking sound. after checking bushings. tires. then allignment unless you hit some big pot holes in which case both your tires and allignment could be off.

as for the 4 wheel steering (which i think you are trying to describe) isnt on the SC. some cars like the nissan 240 sx or skyline gt-r's had what is called HICAS. which would steer the rear wheels also. and some of the older preludes had that too.

if your car shakes its a big problem.

it depends on which bushing it is. if its the arm bushing most cases you have to buy a new arm which wil run you about 350 ish if you buy a supra arm. the steering rack arm will prabably run like 30-50 bucks.

Ok, thank you!!!!!!!! Iam gonna get right on this. :cheers:

if your car shakes its a big problem.

it depends on which bushing it is. if its the arm bushing most cases you have to buy a new arm which wil run you about 350 ish if you buy a supra arm. the steering rack arm will prabably run like 30-50 bucks.