Low Pressure Oil Light

mcmlan

We recently brought our 1999 RX 300 to our local service center (i.e. mechanic) to fix a noice coming from the engine. At days end, we were told that it was something to do with the steering pump and that they had drained and replaced the power steering fluid, etc ($90) and this should quite the noise else they would need to replace the p/s pump ($450). After picking up the car from the service center, my wife was no more than a block or two away when the car stalled and the light for the check 'low oil pressure' came on. We did not have this problem before we brought the car into the shop. She was able to restart the car and drive the remaining three blocks to our home. The check oil light stayed on.

When I checked the oil, the reading on the dipstick was low. I added two quarts but the 'red' light did not go out. We brought it back the service center and now they are telling us we have NO oil pressure and that we need a new engine!!! I did some research and found that the problem could be either that the sensor was damaged or broken (which they claim they checked) or that the oil pump needs to be replaced (which they told me they do not want to do and said for me to take it to Lexus). Oh yes, they also said that the car was over the 3000 mile oil change which is ridiculous since I have had cars go 6000 miles without an oil change? They also claim that there was some kind of problem with Lexus and 3000 mile oil change which sounds ludicrous.

I would appreciate any help.

My guess is your engine has sludge inside of it that blocked critical oil passageways and the engine noise you heard was not really coming from the power steering system, but was actually the sound of the reciprocating metal engine parts starved of motor oil.

Sludge can develop if owners fail to maintain the engine oil level between the ADD and FULL marks on the engine oil dipstick and fail change the motor oil at least every 6 -12 months or 5,000 -7,500 miles since the day the car was brand new.

Driving any car even one block without oil pressure can destroy the engine.

Oil pumps, like the engine itself, will not fail unless starved of clean oil.

About all you can do now is get a second opinion about the need for a new engine and then either have a rebuilt engine installed or a good used engine installed.

My guess is your engine has sludge inside of it that blocked critical oil passageways and the engine noise you heard was not really coming from the power steering system, but was actually the sound of the reciprocating metal engine parts starved of motor oil. 

Sludge can develop if owners fail to maintain the engine oil level between the ADD and FULL marks on the engine oil dipstick and fail change the motor oil at least every 6 -12 months or 5,000 -7,500 miles since the day the car was brand new. 

Driving any car even one block without oil pressure can destroy the engine.

Oil pumps, like the engine itself, will not fail unless starved of clean oil.

About all you can do now is get a second opinion about the need for a new engine and then either have a rebuilt engine installed or a good used engine installed.

Thank you for your quick response. Since we are under 4000 miles for an oil change and within 6 months, do you still feel sludge developed? Also, when I checked the oil (dipstick) the oil was clean.

Sludge could have developed during the years the original owner(s) had the car.  Putting clean oil into a sludged engine won't clean it up.

But this was a newer motor. The original owner never changed the oil and seized the motor. I have the records from Lexus. I will need to see when Lexus changed this motor but it was only a year old or so when we bought the car (used) and we have had it for 37 months.

I don't know what kind of warranty Lexus offers on replacement motors. I've heard that when Lexus replaces a motor, they use rebuilt motors. Rebuilt by American firms. So maybe the American rebuilder didn't do a very good rebuild job. Like maybe the rebuilder used a used oil pump instead of a new oil pump.

I don't know what kind of warranty Lexus offers on replacement motors. I've heard that when Lexus replaces a motor, they use rebuilt motors.  Rebuilt by American firms.  So maybe the American rebuilder didn't do a very good rebuild job.  Like maybe the rebuilder used a used oil pump instead of a new oil pump.

My warranty on the car since we bought it used expired last year. Does not hurt to try so I can try calling Lexus and finding out about the replacement motor and if there is any warranty. I doubt it.

I also began to think about this more last night. It is too much a coincidence that the previous owner had the same problem. Maybe Lexus lied when they said the previous owner did not change the oil. And if this is a replacement motor, I doubt there would be a sludge issue. I am more inclined to go your 'used' oil pump theory. Have you heard of any issues with Lexus motors and this problem I am having?

• 2 weeks later...

When we bought the car we had about a year or so on the base warrantly which is 4 years / 50,000 miles. This was transferable to us. I am checking with Lexus on the powertrain warranty which covers drvieshaft, engine block, etc. and is 6 yrs / 70,000 miles. I did not know there was an 8 yr warranty on the engine. Is this for the original motor or a rebuilt Lexus motor?