Brakes Not Releasing

kshgl87

wondering if anyone can help me, my front brakes are not releasing properly so they have quite a bit of pressure on the rotor when i let off the brake and they are getting extremely hot...not sure exactly what needs to be done to get them to start releasing but until I can fix them or take them in to get fixed (which i would obviously prefer not to) my car is undrivable :cries: -thanx

Your pistons are probably stuck...you just need to go to a brake shop and hope that your rotors arent already damaged.

If you are diy, you'd need to take them apart and rebuild them back to spec.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbcaliper.html

Check this out on how to do it.

Otherwise i'm sure midas will be obliged.

There is a chance that it could be something more like your master cylinder but I think it is probably the pistons.

Good luck.

The first thing to look at are the pin type sliders used on the floating caliper. Pull them out, clean them, re-grease them. The piston should be a firm fit, and given how well Toyota seals them, they stick less frequently than the slider pins. If the pistons and sliders are all good, then the problem is going to be tougher to fix. Probably it is at the wheel end.

It becomes a problem with DIY brake jobs not knowing there is more to changing brakes than reseating the pads.

You have to grease sliders if applicable (like yours with a floating caliper but not mine with a solid caliper) as well as lubing the pistons before installing the new pads. Also not replacing the shims and adding anti squeal.

They are the most common issues to brake failure.

Hopefully it is not a problem with the brake booster or abs system not releasing the pressure which it may be since both front wheels are locking up.

If both front brakes are not releasing then this would most likely indicate a brake master cylinder problem. If it's specific to one side then I would consider replacing the caliper and brake hose on that side. Although a stuck slider pin will cause uneven pad wear and warp the rotor it would not normally lead to the condition your describing.