No Brake Lights

Texas LS400

Hi all,

My brake lights will not work. I checked all 6 bulbs(2 left, 2 right and 2 center) they were all fine and the fuses under the dash were fine. The tail lights work when headlights are turned on but when you push the break pedal, the tail lights don't change.

I checked the wiring going to each and it is fine.

Is there a fuseable link in the engine compartment that might be the culprit? If not, what other things can I check. There is no warning on the dash coming on either.

Thanks for your help.

Hi all,

My brake lights will not work.  I checked all 6 bulbs(2 left, 2 right and 2 center) they were all fine and the fuses under the dash were fine.  The tail lights work when headlights are turned on but when you push the break pedal, the tail lights don't change.

I checked the wiring going to each and it is fine.

Is there a fuseable link in the engine compartment that might be the culprit? If not, what other things can I check.  There is no warning on the dash coming on either.

Thanks for your help.

There is a thread about a trunk hinge wiring problem with early LS's, If I recall the wiring from the factory is too short and wears the coating off and shorts out causing a plethera of problems. Search and ye shall find http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&f=

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a bad brake light switch, located behind the brake pedal. It's a simple contact switch which triggers the brake lights once the pedal is pushed.

That is exactly what it was. Bought the stop light switch for the pedal at CarQuest.

Thanks for helping out.