2001 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder

LexKid630

Today i was at my brother's house because we "might" be moving in his neighborhood, and we took a drive in his wife's 2001 toyota camry around the area.

Anyway... when he first started it up, it sounded as if the engine was revving up a bit. Only for the first few seconds though, then it went back down. At first i thought he had his foot on the pedal, but it wasn't. I asked him about it and he didn't think it was anything unusual, but he couldn't tell for sure since he usually takes his 2001 camry XLE with the 6 cyl.

After, i got in my rx330 and listened to the engine as i started it up. It DID NOT sound like the camry did, at all.

Do all 4 cyl camry's sound like that at start-up or is something wrong with it? It was parked in his garage overnight so i don't think it's the cold...

It's a 2000 toyota camry LE 4 cyl

All cars (Toyota/Lexus at least) do this to help the car warm up and come to ideal operating temperature quicker. Even if it is 100* outside and you haven't started your car since the previous day, it will still idle higher at startup than normal. Check the Temperature gauge on the dashboard to tell you when the car is up to the right temperature. Probably more noticable becuase it's a 4 cylinder which would be thrashier and more suited to revving at high RPM's than the V6 would.

Back to my Ethics paper that is due in 8 1/2 hours...lol.

post-18112-1132291000_thumb.jpg

All cars (Toyota/Lexus at least) do this to help the car warm up and come to ideal operating temperature quicker.  Even if it is 100* outside and you haven't started your car since the previous day, it will still idle higher at startup than normal.  Check the Temperature gauge on the dashboard to tell you when the car is up to the right temperature.  Probably more noticable becuase it's a 4 cylinder which would be thrashier and more suited to revving at high RPM's than the V6 would.

Back to my Ethics paper that is due in 8 1/2 hours...lol.

I didn't think of that! Thanks

I know what your talking about. I'm looking for a car for my fiance and we looked at an 01 camry 4cyl. He gave me the key to start it up and it immediately went above 2000rpms and stayed there. I immediately turned it off and said no thanks. I had a friend with a camry and his did that after he had wrecked it pretty bad. I'm sure it's probably something little, but it really turned me off....

Based on extensive experience renting 4 cylinder Camry's and Corolla's over the years (and owning two of the latter) I have found it's normal for them to idle at between 1500 - 2000 rpm when first started in the morning whereas the V8 and V6 Toyotas and Lexus's tend to be set to idle at between 1000 - 1500 rpm when first started.

My mom's 01 Camry LE 4-cylinder does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's normal. Tomorrow for turkey day I'm going to see my cousin who's a Toyota mechanic - I can ask him.

BTW LexKid - you have quite a lineup of Lexus's (or is that Lexi?).. your son has a nicer car than me! Will you adopt me?? :D

My mom's 01 Camry LE 4-cylinder does the same thing.  I'm pretty sure it's normal.  Tomorrow for turkey day I'm going to see my cousin who's a Toyota mechanic - I can ask him.

BTW LexKid - you have quite a lineup of Lexus's (or is that Lexi?)..  your son has a nicer car than me!  Will you adopt me??  :D

I'd be curious what your cousin say's Max. B)

:cheers:

My mom's 01 Camry LE 4-cylinder does the same thing.  I'm pretty sure it's normal.  Tomorrow for turkey day I'm going to see my cousin who's a Toyota mechanic - I can ask him.

BTW LexKid - you have quite a lineup of Lexus's (or is that Lexi?)..  your son has a nicer car than me!  Will you adopt me??   :D

I'd be curious what your cousin say's Max. B)

:cheers:

I would also like to find out what he says, if it's not too much trouble :D

And yes we do have a lot of cars. Won't be getting any new ones any time soon though, so i hope they all last! :(

Talked to my cousin and yes, those engines are supposed to do that. In fact he said if they didn't - the car has a problem. He tells me the engine runs at the elevated idle until the temp reaches 220 or something.........

Talked to my cousin and yes, those engines are supposed to do that.  In fact he said if they didn't - the car has a problem.  He tells me the engine runs at the elevated idle until the temp reaches 220 or something.........

Oh that's wonderful news!

I knew it was normal...it's a toyota! :lol:

Tell your cousin i said thanks for the help!