Decreased Mileage After Rotor Repair

I really like the coasting feeling you get with the 400H.

Unfortunately I had the squeaky brake rotor (known) problem. They replaced my rotors. Now my mileage is noticeable worse (2-3 mpg). After the ROTOR repair, that coasting sensation is gone. It's pratically like driving a gas powered car.

I noticed it immediately, but they said just drive it for while and see how it feels. 2000 miles later and still no joy!

The dealer claims nothing is wrong eventhough the service tech and I took a new one and mine for a ride. The new one drove like mine used to. The tech even noticed it.

Any ideas on what could have happened and how to fix it? The local techs are stumped. This has really got me down. I feel ripped off but Lexus doesn't seem to care.

Possible the bearing race was overtorqued?

I really like the coasting feeling you get with the 400H.

Unfortunately I had the squeaky brake rotor (known) problem.  They replaced my rotors. Now my mileage is noticeable worse (2-3 mpg).  After the ROTOR repair, that coasting sensation is gone. It's pratically like driving a gas powered car.

I noticed it immediately, but they said just drive it for while and see how it feels. 2000 miles later and still no joy!

The dealer claims nothing is wrong eventhough the service tech and I took a new one and mine for a ride. The new one drove like mine used to. The tech even noticed it.

Any ideas on what could have happened and how to fix it?  The local techs are stumped.  This has really got me down. I feel ripped off but Lexus doesn't seem to care.

Find another dealer and get a second opinion and make em fix it. Coasting as you know is a big component of gas saving in this vehicle. The fact that the tech agrees with you that other models dont work like the result you have and it wasnt that way from day one is reason enough for them to fix it. Its clear that some dealers have very little experience with these vehicles.

Interesting. Since I got my 400 back from the lock repair (which took a week due to parts) my mileage has been 2-3 mpg less. This is after 3 tankfuls now. I assumed as the weather cooled (fall here in Chicago) that my mileage would be at least what it was when I wasn't running the AC. It has gone from 28 to 25.

I didn't have the squealing brakes problem, is there any chance they would have done a pre-emptive factory recall fix to my rotors? I really can't explain the mileage drop.

Shebco, I had my 5,000 mile service recently and they didn't do anything to my rotors that I know of. My mileage during this fall has been 30 MPG (30.5 over the last 600 miles). So, if they did do the rotors, not all dealerships are doing it pre-emptively. Also, if this is a "fix", then I think I want mine broken unless it is a safety issue.

One thing to remember as well is ,right now it is winter.This means the gas is reformulated for lower temps and behcaves differently .

Although it is a stated octane it is also made to help a car start in cold weather. You are just being more sensative to the milage changes as that was the majority of the purchasers wanted .

Check your tire pressure and make sure you use premium as well.

• 1 month later...

:lol:

Success!

It turns out my dealer (name withheld to protect the guilty) must not have rebalanced the wheels (rotated maybe?) after the rotor repair.

On a freeway trip to Palm Springs from San Francisco I got less than stellar mileage (approx 21 mpg).

I went to Desert Lexus in Cathedral City, CA and after the initial test drive and "everything checks out on the computer", the tech (Hector) noticed all four tires (sounds like a rotation issue to me) were wearing excessively on the inside.

Anyway 4 new Michelins (warranty comp'd - awesome job here Lexus) and I'm back to the mileage and coasting feel I had before the infamous rotor repair!

If you've noticed a mileage drop/coasting feel change after a wheel rotation, check the wheel balance and for excessive tire wear!