Tire Advice - Pirelli Strs?

4Runna

i read all the posts about tire recommendations...

i narrowed down to three,

michelin ltx m/s

toyo open country m410

yokohama geolander g051

no one has toyo's, so they're out

a tire guy suggested pirelli, he liked them over the michelin... i'm sure they're great on like a subaru, how do they do with a lexus - are they reliable (60k+)?

thanks!!!

I've never had Pirellis on a Japanese vehicle but ran a set of them on my Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio some years back.

They're great track and performance handling tires because most Pirellis are softer composition than the majority of the other name brands on the market. But you sacrifice long mileage big-time. I'm obsessed with tire care and getting maximum tire lifespan on all of my vehicles and the best I ever got out of a set of Pirellis was about 25,000 miles and they were almost like racing slicks at that point. I doubt if there is a Pirelli tire out there that will even come close to 50,000 miles.

Granted, I drove that Alfa hard and fast because that's why I bought it, but I firmly believe that a good set of Dunlops or Michelins would have lasted far longer than the Pirellis did.

I have the Geolander H/T S on my 2K RX, they are nice tires however I seemed to lose a mile and a half per gallon when I put these on. Seems more that the in town milage was lost than the hwy. I just came back from Lake Tahoe and got an average of 21.7 on the computer. That was from Vacaville to Tahoe. They are also quieter than the old Bridgestones that came on the RX.

Jeff

i read all the posts about tire recommendations...

i narrowed down to three,

michelin ltx m/s

toyo open country m410

yokohama geolander g051

no one has toyo's, so they're out

a tire guy suggested pirelli, he liked them over the michelin... i'm sure they're great on like a subaru, how do they do with a lexus - are they reliable (60k+)?

thanks!!!

What tire size do you need 4R? The Toyo M-410's have been replaced by the Open Country H/T (H/T stands for Highway Terrain).

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/OpenCountryHTEN.asp

Another tire you should give some serious consideration too as it's brand new on the market is the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread.

http://www.goodyearfortera.com/tripletred/

:cheers:

RXinNC, it snowed the day before we went, nothing on the road by the time we were going over the summit. You could see snow around the tops of the surrounding mountains though. It was only in the low 40s so not that cold.

Jeff

I had 2 sets of Pirelli tires for my beloved VW GTI (P6 and P600). As noted previously, they're SOFT. Probably the best performing tire I've used but they only lasted some 12K miles.

I have a set(4) of Toyo winter tires for our Acura CL and have been very pleased with them to date. Wear well etc.

For our 2002 RX AWD, the original tires were upgraded to Michelin M+S tires as part of initial purchase agreement. I've been very pleased with them. Quiet in the summer, appear to wear well (52K Km) and great in the "Great White North" winters.

If I didn't have an AWD for winter reasons, I'd find the quietest/long-lasting combo (in that order). IMHO, there's nothing as annoying as tire drone.

For my Lexus RX300 in Chicago, I could not wait to replace my OEM Goodyear Integrity tires that lasted a long time but had very poor traction in rain or snow. After researching tires at http://www.tirerack.com/ (I have no affiliation with this site.) and talking to some friends I bought Michelin LTX M/S tires. The traction is great, they have little tread wear after 20,000+ miles. I would recommend these for all weather use. The larger tread grooves are quiet, but if you drive on gravel a lot this could be a problem. A friend with a RX300 has the other OEM tire, the Bridgestone Dueler which has good traction but did not last long - maybe 30,000 miles. He replaced them with the Michelin Cross Terrain tires and likes them. Sorry, no experience with the Pirelli tires you mentioned. Good luck.