'97 Ls400 Camshaft/crankshaft Seals

latintxn54

Just completed replacing the wires, plugs, rotors, distributor caps on my '97 LS400 with 91,850 miles. What a challenging job but I got it done!! No extra bolts and everything went right back in place. The entire job took approx. 6 hrs. and the sweetest part was when I cranked up the car & the sweet smooth sound that followed. The job went smooth in part to all the info. I picked up from this forum. Thanks to all!! Now I want to tackle the timing belt, water pump & camshaft/crankshaft seals. I've gathered plenty of input from this forum concerning "Replacing Timing Belt/Water Pump" but NOTHING on the task of replacing the seals. Does anyone have any sources for doing this job? Again, thanks to all you LS400 mechanically-inclined enthusiasts!

post-15027-1131386317_thumb.jpg

You should have waited to do the ignition while you were working on the timing belt since most of the igniton parts have to come back out to do the timing belt! ;) Here is a link for some info on the cam and crank seals: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=19816&hl=

Your W210 is just breath taking!!! B)

Just completed replacing the wires, plugs, rotors, distributor caps on my '97 LS400 with 91,850 miles.  What a challenging job but I got it done!!  No extra bolts and everything went right back in place.  The entire job took approx. 6 hrs. and the sweetest part was when I cranked up the car & the sweet smooth sound that followed.  The job went smooth in part to all the info. I picked up from this forum.  Thanks to all!!  Now I want to tackle the timing belt, water pump & camshaft/crankshaft seals.  I've gathered plenty of input from this forum concerning "Replacing Timing Belt/Water Pump" but NOTHING on the task of replacing the seals.  Does anyone have any sources for doing this job?  Again, thanks to all you LS400 mechanically-inclined enthusiasts!

thanks for the feedback. And you're right about 'should-of-held-off' on the ignition work 'cause I'll have to repeat most of the steps to do the timing belt. and thanks for the link to the "Seals" info. I too found this topic but unfortunately, it doesn't give instructions on removing the seals!

thanks for the feedback.  And you're right about 'should-of-held-off' on the ignition work 'cause I'll have to repeat most of the steps to do the timing belt.  and thanks for the link to the "Seals" info.  I too found this topic but unfortunately, it doesn't give instructions on removing the seals!

as I recalled, my mech just removed the CAM/crank pulleys (holding by a center bolt) to expose the bad seals, then just pried them out with screw driver.

you don't usually remove CAM/crank pulleys themselves for a "typical" timing-belt job, but it definately worth the effort to go a bit further to change out those seals so that they won't come back to haunt you later on.