Recent Intermediate Service

prix

Tapping is an exaggeration, but that's close to it. That I can 'hear' it working at all is a change from pre-service. Tranny fluid was change (using T-IV) and differential fluid changed (80-80W gear oil -- i asked). Radiator coolant changed. A fuel injector(?) cleaner added to gas tank at my request (tank was full at the time it was added). Fuel filter was filthy and was cleaned. Spray cleaned throttle. Car is running much better and has more power, less gutteral on acceration. I was just curious whether this fuel supplement might be causing this sound. It is a very faint faint tapping that I did not hear before the service. The guy who worked on the car is v. knowledgeable and I am not worried about damage or anything...but I wondered if the fluid change caused this? any ideas?

Someone cleaned or replaced the fuel filter?

If they cleaned it get it in writing and then sue the crap out of them for fraud.The fuel filter is not servicable.

Need to describe the noise more,

where is is comeing from

any specific conditions that make the noise change?

Hi SK!! Well, now I have to look at my records (hold the phone)...ok, am back and yes, it says 'fuel filter'. He only charged me $35 for the part, and one hour labor. I actually saw it. Not positive, but I think it's behind the gas cap(?) and you can take it out, it's a kind of reservoir. It filters the fuel going into the system. I saw the piece and he shook the liquid out of it and it was black, practically mud. VERY dirty. Who knew there were that many contaminants in fuel. Apparently, as it moves from the refinery through the process, the fuel picks up moisture as well as dirt etc. The filter is meant to clean that out. Now, how sure are you that this is impossible? This guy is as honest as the day is long. I also looked on Lexus major service (the list of what all you get) and one of the things you get is your fuel filter replaced if it's needed. The gear oil he used is 80w90. I have concerns, because I could have sworn the factory recommended fluid is dextron II. That's what a previous shop used. So now I am wondering if this gear oil (the change) might be causing the noise problem. I did list the gear oil weight wrong in the previous post: it's 80W90 on the records. What do you think? Is this a problem? I better check on this tomorrow. I wouldn't really describe this as noise. At idle, I notice the engine noise, whereas before, it wasn't something I noticed. It's not a knock, more of a high pitched and very faint tap tap tap ( a really fast tap, like the engine is running a little fast). The RPMs are normal and the engine is not overheating. Now that I see Dex II listed as the fluids used on a previous differential fluid change, I am concerned.

Someone cleaned or replaced the fuel filter?

If they cleaned it get it in writing and then sue the crap out of them for fraud.The fuel filter is not servicable.

Need to describe the noise more,

where is is comeing from

any specific conditions that make the noise change?

Your owners manual says to check the engine's valve clearances every 60,000 miles.

The tapping noise you describe sounds like some valves that have somewhat loose clearances. These noises are typically a bit louder after an oil change

Only API GL-5 gear oil should be used in the differential, never Dexron. You could use 80W-90, or 85W-140 conventional or 75W-140 synthetic. The 80W-90 would be best for cold winter climates and 85W-140 or 75W-140 best for mild winter climates and hot summers.

When I flushed my coolant on another vehicle I own, some liquid made it's way onto the serpentine drivebelt. Although I cleaned the belt the best I could, for about a week I had a noise that would repeat itselt like a "schick schick schick" noise that would increase as the rpm's increased. I did notice it mostly at idle. Eventually it dissapeared altogether and everything was fine. Just a possibility...could also be the valve clearances as Monarch suggested.

As a side note usually a tank fuel injector cleaner is added to a near empty tank and then filled with gas, not added to a full tank. Nice job sticking with the correct fluids. ;)

Hmmm.

The fuel filter is located in the ngine bay as far as i know under the brake booster, but i have never looked on mine to confirm.

To remove a screen that goes in the gas tank should be free as it wouldn't require any parts and definatly not an hour unless this is something i have never seen.

Most gas stations have filthy holding tanks, which is why i only by sunoco gas from station less than a year old.

If i can't pay at the pump the station is too old for me to put any rust dirt and water in my tank they can keep it before i pay for it.

Thanks everyone! Good info. I did not see where he took the fuel filter from, I only saw the part itself (he was showing me how dirty it was). I really do not know for sure where he said it was located ... I took in a lot of info (of a mechanical nature) that day. Tomorrow I am going to investigate a better fuel source. I like the idea of a newer station, etc., makes sense. I've been going to the same station for YEARS -- a Mobil station -- for the convenience.

Hmmm.

The fuel filter is located in the ngine bay as far as i know under the brake booster, but i have never looked on mine to confirm.

To remove a screen that goes in the gas tank should be free as it wouldn't require any parts and definatly not an hour unless this is something i have never seen.

Most gas stations have filthy holding tanks, which is why i only by sunoco gas from station less than a year old.

If i can't pay at the pump the station is too old for me to put any rust dirt and water in my tank they can keep it before i pay for it.

Yes, I thought of that too when he asked me how much fuel I had in the tank. Whatever he used, he said the tank had to be at least 60% full in order for him to be able to add it (tank was almost full). The records say: EFI injector cleaner. Valves were 'audibly checked' at the 60K service. I'll wait to see if the sounds settles down.

When I flushed my coolant on another vehicle I own, some liquid made it's way onto the serpentine drivebelt. Although I cleaned the belt the best I could, for about a week I had a noise that would repeat itselt like a "schick schick schick" noise that would increase as the rpm's increased. I did notice it mostly at idle. Eventually it dissapeared altogether and everything was fine. Just a possibility...could also be the valve clearances as Monarch suggested.

As a side note usually a tank fuel injector cleaner is added to a near empty tank and then filled with gas, not added to a full tank. Nice job sticking with the correct fluids. ;)

you can use some fuel injector cleaners with a full tank like the b12 chemtool which i think is the best. sk the fuel filter on our car is located on the passenger side of the differential as are all the 400s

So is API GL-5 different from that which was used (80W90)?? If it's different, now does it differ from what was used, or what would be the effects? Thanks much...

Your owners manual says to check the engine's valve clearances every 60,000 miles. 

The tapping noise you describe sounds like some valves that have somewhat loose clearances.  These noises are typically a bit louder after an oil change

Only API GL-5 gear oil should be used in the differential, never Dexron. You could use 80W-90, or 85W-140 conventional or 75W-140 synthetic.  The 80W-90 would be best for cold winter climates and  85W-140 or 75W-140 best for mild winter climates and hot summers.

Well SK, looks like I'm out of luck. Called Sunoco this AM and they don't sell west of Michigan or thereabouts. They're not on the West Coast. How else do I find a 'quality' fuel source? Just look for a 'new' gas station? 91 Octane is called 'premium' around here. After seeing the sludge in that fuel filter ...

Hmmm.

Took a look at the tutorial. It's great. I now know where to check for leaks, etc.) Thanks.

The fuel filter is right underneath the car, it is inline between the tank and the engine about half way up the drivers side passenger door.  It looks like a tiny oil filter. 

As always refer the lexus mecca at

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/fuelfilter.html

Cheers!,

Leadfoot