Swirls..i Give Up

4 detailers....3 products..and still cant remove swirls permanently from my black 98 gs300. Looks so great when it leaves detailer. One car wash later, they are back. What to do, what to do?

you should see my car when sun shines on it...EWWWW my God...what a mess!

takes away from the overall look...next time its silver or white for me...no more black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 detailers....3 products..and still cant remove swirls permanently from my black 98 gs300.  Looks so great when it leaves detailer. One car wash later, they are back.  What to do, what to do?

you should see my car when sun shines on it...EWWWW  my God...what a mess!

takes away from the overall look...next time its silver or white for me...no more black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your swirls keep coming back because the fillers used to hide the swirls keep washing off.

You'd be surprised how many so called professional detailers induce swirls while "detailing" your car.

After my second professional detailing I bought a Porter Cable ,a rotary buffer and all the pads and polishes to do my own detailing.

If you have the means and the time do your own detailing .Nobody will care for your car more than you.

It could be one of two things:

1. The fillers are being removed from the paint, which is entirely possible because what cantsleep said is true.

2. You're introducing new swirls when you wash the car. The single stage black is VERY soft and improper washing techniques will swirl it badly in one wash.

How are you washing the car?

1. The fillers are being removed from the paint, which is entirely possible because what cantsleep said is true.

2. You're introducing new swirls when you wash the car. The single stage black is VERY soft and improper washing techniques will swirl it badly in one wash.

I know number 2 is definitely correct and never ever bring the car to get washed where they use non rubber brushes....if you go to a drive through for a quick wash from time to time make sure it's brushes aren't whats introducing the swirls....8 out of 10 car washes use damanging non rubber brushes that create swirls.

ANY automatic carwash will create swirls unless its the type where it only cleans the car with jets of water.

Most carwashes nowadays are brushless, what they use actually isn't rubber its cloth. Still scratches, especially the soft Lexus black.

Suggest you consider doing your own detail from the very beginning. I use Zaino products (www.Zainostore.com). Their new Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleanser Swirl Remover followed by an application of Z-2 PRO plus ZFX, then their Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal should do the job. (I use them on a black Excalibur, Red Reatta, and Silver LS430). I'd also suggest using their carwash exclusively. I am also an Autopian; you might check the product reviews of all the products (not only Zaino's) on their site www.autopia.org I'm obviously one of those Zaino Zealots. Not only do Zaino products work great, but most of them smell great tempting you to add rum and sip them. Their leather conditioner (Z-10 Leather In A Bottle) makes the leather look and smell great. Many of us leave the applicator in the car to keep the scent around longer.

The Zaino website tells you step by step exactly how to do the detailing, and you've time to order and detail before it gets cold again. BTW, I was cued to Zaino from the Reatta discussion group several years ago. I am asked frequently how I like my new car (the 91 Reatta convertible with 93k on her) when she's freshly cleaned up (original paint).

Suggest you consider doing your own detail from the very beginning. I use Zaino products (www.Zainostore.com). Their new Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleanser Swirl Remover followed by an application of Z-2 PRO plus ZFX, then their Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal should do the job. (I use them on a black Excalibur, Red Reatta, and Silver LS430). I'd also suggest using their carwash exclusively. I am also an Autopian; you might check the product reviews of all the products (not only Zaino's) on their site www.autopia.org  I'm obviously one of those Zaino Zealots. Not only do Zaino products work great, but most of them smell great tempting you to add rum and sip them. Their leather conditioner (Z-10 Leather In A Bottle) makes the leather look and smell great. Many of us leave the applicator in the car to keep the scent around longer. 

The Zaino website tells you step by step exactly how to do the detailing, and you've time to order and detail before it gets cold again. BTW, I was cued to Zaino from the Reatta discussion group several years ago. I am asked frequently how I like my new car (the 91 Reatta convertible with 93k on her) when she's freshly cleaned up (original paint).

if you want to learn about detailing your own car go here http://www.detailcity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

to remove swirl you need a PC7424(porter cable) and some swirl removal. i use poorboys line it cheap and works great.

Suggest you consider doing your own detail from the very beginning. I use Zaino products (www.Zainostore.com). Their new Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleanser Swirl Remover followed by an application of Z-2 PRO plus ZFX, then their Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal should do the job. (I use them on a black Excalibur, Red Reatta, and Silver LS430). I'd also suggest using their carwash exclusively. I am also an Autopian; you might check the product reviews of all the products (not only Zaino's) on their site www.autopia.org  I'm obviously one of those Zaino Zealots. Not only do Zaino products work great, but most of them smell great tempting you to add rum and sip them. Their leather conditioner (Z-10 Leather In A Bottle) makes the leather look and smell great. Many of us leave the applicator in the car to keep the scent around longer. 

HRP. Last warning, post an unsolicited Zaino advertisement again, especially when it has nothing to do with the topic we're discussing (leather conditioner?), I will ban you. All you ever do here is post about Zaino and you bring nothing else to the table.

So if the "filler" is being removed each time I wash the car, then there is really no permanent way of removing swirls unless I wash and buff out car each week?

No, if the issue is that the swirls are just being filled then they've never been removed in the first place, they've just been hidden. If you follow the tutorials here, on Autopia, and on Detail City you'll learn how to REMOVE the swirls and how to properly wash the car, so it won't be an issue anymore.

I only need to lightly polish my car once or twice a year because I know how to wash it without introducing swirls, you'll learn too.

• 1 month later...

What about the drying towel or even the towels used to wax on wax off? Must use the proper towels!

I will echo others comments about using a PC and something like Zaino ZPC. You need to remove the swirl marks so that your paint is smooth and flat. Once the swirls are gone then you can use a layer of polish or sealant or wax. I use Zaino products exclusively because I like them. Try out several different kinds until you lock onto one that you like. Surf autopia also, there is a lot of helpful information there.

Don't give up...just don't go back to a detailer. Doing it yourself is very rewarding....and fun :)

Not to mention I've never met another detailer, that wasn't associated with Autopia, that I felt did quality work.

With a little practice you can get better results on your car than a "pro" can.