Inner Tie Rod

nc211

Guys, this might be a really stupid question, one I'm sure I should know already...But...Why do the inner tie rods go bad? I've looked at pictures of new ones, and they all seem like just steel rods. They don't look like the outer's with a pivot piece and so forth. So, why would the inners ever go bad if they're just a steel rod? What am I missing here? <_<

Ahhhh...ok...thanks man! Can the ball and socket be replaced by itself, or is a part of the tie rod in general? I'm assuming it's a part of the tie rod in general.

Oh no...I've learned the hard way to learn what tools you need BEFORE you tear the thing apart. ;) So, if I were too move my steering wheel back and forth quickly, and felt a slight gap, matched with a faint metal on metal noise, I could possible assume that ball joint might be bad? Don't say rack....PLEASE don't say rack. In fact, tell me it's normal, and it's meant that way to keep the car smoooooth!

nc211, well this is most likely the rack that you're feeling but to make sure remove the boot from around the inner tie rod and visually inspect if the ball joint is moving inside. Now, the important thing for you to do is to stop messing with your car :chairshot: A little play and a pop noise inside the rack will occur with age and mileage. That's why Lexus has a tolerance call out for steering wheel play. There is however one adjustment that you could do. The lower side of the rack has a large external nut with a recessed internal hex which holds a spring and an adapter that pushes the rack firm to the input shaft coming from the steering. If you remove the nut, and the internal hex you can replace the adapter piece and the spring which weakens over time and this might solve your problem. Personally, on mine I have learned to not be so picky and ignore it.

Hahaha. I'm just bored man, and asking questions. Trust me, I'm not worried about anything with the car beyond normal curiousity. Yes, it is 10 years old, and it does have a creek here, moan there, but I understand it's to be expected, even on a Lexus. Other than having some bad tires, there really isn't a thing a few squirts of WD won't fix.

nc211, well this is most likely the rack that you're feeling but to make sure remove the boot from around the inner tie rod and visually inspect if the ball joint is moving inside. Now, the important thing for you to do is to stop messing with your car  :chairshot: A little play and a pop noise inside the rack will occur with age and mileage. That's why Lexus has a tolerance call out for steering wheel play. There is however one adjustment that you could do. The lower side of the rack has a large external nut with a recessed internal hex which holds a spring and an adapter that pushes the rack firm to the input shaft coming from the steering. If you remove the nut, and the internal hex you can replace the adapter piece and the spring which weakens over time and this might solve your problem. Personally, on mine I have learned to not be so picky and ignore it.