Ls 4 Gs 4

nc211

Guys, need ya'll to talk me out of something.....

Got a good lead on trading my LS400 for a 98 GS400. Why should I not do this? I know my labor on my LS. All things are equal. :unsure:

NC - From someone who likes to buy and sell quite often, they all look great at first, you can research all you can about the history, you can test drive it, even have it checked out. But there's always a problem that shows up that wasn't noticed before. I know you've been through so much with your 95, but at least you know what works and what doesn't. You've invested so much and you'll never recoup it. I'd keep what you have.

Then again, if you have driven the GS, do you prefer the ride? Or the styling? What is your motivation to change? I haven't driven the GS, I understand it fills a niche in the lineup, but I've never been crazy about the look, although the '98 is your smartest choice. I've also heard from quite a few people that the interior feels cramped, especially coming from an LS. You are so close to perfection, hopefully just a new set of tires to solve your problem, right?

Mrt'e, man I hear ya'! I really do. But I'm getting that itch! You know, like "ok, well this one is done. What's next?" I have driven the GS...once...and it lead me to my car. We had a 98 GS300 in the bank repo lot 2 years ago. I took the keys for a weekend, and had a blast!! But the board of directors got greedy, so I bought mine instead. I look at my current car as a learning experience to the Lexus way. I spent $14,200 on mine at purchase "5/04", put $3,000 in it to date. I don't care what Warren Buffet says, you can't beat an LS400 for $17,000 for 2+ years...period... I'm just curious about the others?? No doubt the LS is the king! But, what do you guys think of the GS400? A-side from the obvious "interiour room and cache'" ??

NC - From someone who likes to buy and sell quite often, they all look great at first, you can research all you can about the history, you can test drive it, even have it checked out. But there's always a problem that shows up that wasn't noticed before. I know you've been through so much with your 95, but at least you know what works and what doesn't. You've invested so much and you'll never recoup it. I'd keep what you have.

Then again, if you have driven the GS, do you prefer the ride? Or the styling? What is your motivation to change? I haven't driven the GS, I understand it fills a niche in the lineup, but I've never been crazy about the look, although the '98 is your smartest choice. I've also heard from quite a few people that the interior feels cramped, especially coming from an LS. You are so close to perfection, hopefully just a new set of tires to solve your problem, right?

As you can see from my sig, I own one of each. The wife drives the LS, me the GS. When we go out as a family we take the LS (I drive of course). Great car, makes me smile, love the smooth ride. For me though, by myself, or just me and the wife on a road trip, it's the GS. So fast it can be scary because the smoothness doesn't give you the feeling of speed. Great fuel mileage, and nobody can pass me. The look of the GS takes some getting used to. I have had it for a year, and I still look at it, sometimes fondly, sometimes quizzically. But all in all it is a great shape, though not classic like the LS.

Drive a GS, and punch it, on any road, under any conditions. They are amazing. Then think about which you want - the luxo smooth LS or the !Removed! fast and great handling GS.

I find each as comfortable, and the seats in the GS are actually a better fit for me - six foot and a bit, and 220 pounds.

I don't know if I can talk you out of that! I've spent several hours at the helm of a '00 GS300, and I can't say enough great things about the car! They are actually very roomy inside. The ride is very smooth, but it handles well at the same time. They look great inside and out. I'd just steer clear of the 300 since they are like every other Lexus 6 cylinder, and they don't spring to life until 4,000+ rpms. The V8 model is a completely different story though! It's a tough call! :wacko:

Yeah, I'd want the 400 model since I'm now familiar with the V8 engine "and addicted to it". How are the problems with the GS model? Are they similiar to the LS in terms of suspension bushings, engine computer and so forth? I drove a 98 GS300 we had on repo before I bought my LS400. I made a few offers on the GS, but was not accepted. When I test drove it, it died and the trac light came on right in the middle of the highway. Talk about a butt tightening moment in my life! I must admit, I sure did like the cockpit on that car, and she was FUN on those curvy country roads.

If I do trade for a GS, are there any parts from mine that I could tranfer to it? I just hate walking away from mine after all of those repairs, but if I can transfer some parts over, then I would feel better. But I'm just thinking out loud here too. Damn, wish I could have both!

I just took a 99 GS400 for a spin. Sweet machine! But, don't think I can let mine go just yet. But I have identified my next car, for sure. I'm thinking when I get married next April, and I'm paying for my wife's honda civic at $300 a month, it will be traded in for a used GS at a lower payment. She's got 66k miles on it already and has a bad dent from a parking lot mishap.

For sure the best option is having the LS and then a sporty something on the side. Right now I am debating what to get next, but I am keeping my LS. I have a biased opinion and love my LS. Of couse I have not driven the GS so I really cant give a fair opinion, but since LEXUS makes it I suspect something good.

Cheers to LEXUS

Oh yeah man, those GS400's are sweet machines! I like the tight fitting driver's area. Really makes you want to STOMP on it and scream on down the road! the V8 is a perfect blend too. I can see where a person would have a tough time not getting to know his lawyer very well due to traffic tickets.

For sure the best option is having the LS and then a sporty something on the side. Right now I am debating what to get next, but I am keeping my LS. I have a biased opinion and love my LS. Of couse I have not driven the GS so I really cant give a fair opinion, but since LEXUS makes it I suspect something good.

Cheers to LEXUS

Despite the smooth comfortable ride the LS series has to offer, my friend owns a 1998 GS 400, what a coincidence. Me and him are always in those cars, we know how they feel what to expect of them on the road. Hands down the GS400 is a beast. It keeps winding up everytime it wants more and you keep feeding it to completely unleash the animal. Just look at this way, what do you have to lose. You are not having a 6 year Honda civic lease, nor your throwing away money, you are simply feeling a different side of what Lexus has to offer you. I love the interior inside the GS, The engine is a beast. I believe if you want something " different " different is what you will get. The only thing I dislike in the GS is the steering wheel. I don't know, that's just me. Also my friend went to the mechanic to replace the brakes/oil change past 1.8 years, other then that the software, hardware problems with it are minimum.

Good luck and keep us updated on how your transition goes. The sun dont shine forever but as long as its here you and the Lexus might as well shine together, better now then ever. :cheers:

I am a proud owner of a 98' ES300 and am very impressed with the GS series. In the near future I will upgrade to a 01'-03' GS430. The exterior and interior are a great fit for me personally. (single, 6'0, speed fetish) The LS is also a beauty and believe me you shouldn't have any trouble selling her if it really came down to it.