Remove The Console Wood Safetly - Late Ls400

Y2KLS400

To access the four bolts retaining the climate/radio control assembly, the veneered console wood panel and the center vents have to be removed.

That's easier said than done.

Follow this pictorial and you will avoid damage to your costly interior trim. My pictorial applies to late LS400 series cars - it shows my 2000 LS400.

Why would you want to remove the radio? Well, if it's faulty it has to be repaired. But I have more nefarious reasons.

Watch this space.

I'm just curious, what kind of trouble did you have with a very small taped screw driver? I've pulled that piece of wood up well over 15 times for various reasons in the past 18 months without a single problem using the screw driver. I'm more afraid of the a/c vents since they feel so brittle. lol

This is what I've used numerous times with great success (as you can see, it's nothing special at all)...

post-1461-1130203986_thumb.jpg

I would not recommend using a sharp tool like Y2KLS400 recommends. Instead use a well taped screw driver or wide blade putty knife to spread the force on the wood trim. Like Blake I've removed the wood console trim quite a few times with no problems.

Here is one of the best tutorials on removing the console trim and radio - it applies to 95-00 LS400's but the procedure is not all that different for 90-94 LS400's: http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm