94 & 99 Suspension Compatablility

lexus082

Does anyone know for a fact if the suspension components such as upper and lower control arms will work on a 94 sc300/400 for both the front and the rear. I know they have different part numbers for 92-96 and then 97-? but will any of these arms from a 99 sc300 work on a 94 sc400? Probably a tough question.

probably the reason why the part numbers change between the years is the rubber compound between the years and between the 300 and 400. so the arms will probably fit but just a different ride.

Do you think they just used a different rubber compound to improve the ride quality in the newer sc's.

Some times, OEMs change the rubber compound based on customer feedback. Example: 93 Mazda RX-7s had very stiff rubber bushings, but due to customer complaints, they made softer bushings for the following years.

Other times, the rubber can be changed due to changes in a particular supplier for example. Or changes in the supply of materials which will force a change in the end product (the bushing).

And other times, changes that were made to models (latter SCs had more power, weighed a bit more, etc.), causes OEMs to make changes in the bushing.

While I don't know the exact reason, these are reasons I can come up w/ WHY Lexus decided to have a different part number between model years.

like he said...

I have a full set of used (very low mileage 24,000) 1999 sc control arms (upper and lower) for the front and back. I plan on replacing the bushings on the lower arms with the stock lexus bushings that they sell. My question is since they don't individually sell the bushings for the upper arms should I just install the upper arms w/o replacing the bushings since they only have 24,000 miles on them. I think I remember reading the lower control arm bushings are what mostly cushion the ride and have most to do with the ride quality. Or the other option should I just replace the upper bushings with another make of bushing since the arms are already off the vehicle or do you guys think I should just leave the uppers alone like I said earlier. Thanks

lexus doesnt sell the bushings alone. thats why you need to change the whole arm. if i were you i would just throw everything on as is only becasue there is low mileage.

They sell the lower control arm bushings for the front and lower arms from 97+. The part numbers for the front lower bushing is 48654-24040, and 48655-24050 for the rear lower arm. But my question is if I do replace the bushings on each lower control arm should I go ahead and get the upper arm bushings replaced (which your right lexus doesn't sell) with an aftermarket bushing or should I just replace the bushings on the Lower arms all the way around. I'm trying to re-do the suspension as much as possible to retain a "like new" lexus ride quality. Thanks JZZ30

The decision would be up to you.

I heard that it is the lower arms that wear out anyway, BUT keep in mind that the bushings are at least 11 years old on your car.

Up to you if you think replacing ALL the bushings would be worth it.

oh wow! they sell the LCA bushings from 97+!!?! thats a good thing! well if you want to change them now is the time to do it and the upper arm bushings dont really wear out at all. it really only keeps the hub from twisting under breaking other stresses dont seem to affect it that much so i would just leave it. as for which bushing just go oem daizen bushings require greasing periodicaly or every hard rain, they will start to sqeek.

oh wow! they sell the LCA bushings from 97+!!?! thats a good thing! well if you want to change them now is the time to do it and the upper arm bushings dont really wear out at all. it really only keeps the hub from twisting under breaking other stresses dont seem to affect it that much so i would just leave it. as for which bushing just go oem daizen bushings require greasing periodicaly or every hard rain, they will start to sqeek.

Thanks. Hopefully once I replace every single arm with the slightly used 24,000 mile arms and install new bushings on each lower arm and new shocks, bump stops, stabilizer bar bushings, top strut mounts, I will have a "like new" lexus ride quality. Can't wait, I hate driving a car with a busted ball joint. Thanks for your input again, thats what I had in mind I just wanted to get anothers opinion. THANKS JZZ30 & DomLee.