Steering Rack Solenoid

rahlo1

???????

If you can't get it off to clean it, how are you going to get it off to replace it???????

If you can't get it off, then to "replace" it, you have to replace what it attaches to... And that means a new rack.....

When it looked like mine was bad I shoped for just the solenod, but could not find one, new or used. In fact Lexus dealers claim to have no part number for it. You have to buy the rack to get it. Junk yards would not sell iy of the rack, etc...

I hope Lexus has started selling them and I'm wrong...

On getting it off, have you tried the last resort. Heat it up!.... It is a plummers trick to get rusted pipes loose.

Be very carefull. Do it on a rack. Have a fire extigusher at hand. Clean all grease , oil etc, from the area.

Get a smal penciel torch. You want a very small very hot flame, that you can hit the thin nut with. Heat it up and hit with cold water. The expansion and contration should free it... But this is truly a last resort.. And one you may not want to do. You are dealing with not only an open flame but lots of high heat!

Have you tied some really good penatrating oil??? Not WD $ or Liquid Wreanch, but some really good stuff like Break Free or I think there is one called PB???

You may have to look in a sporting goods store for break free. It is used to free up jamed gun actions.

Plase try this before thinking about the torch aproch.

hey guys i cant seem to get my solenoid off to clean the filter so i may be forced to buy the whole part. does anyone know where to get this part for a reasonable price.

Secondhand from a wreckers is often the best as the Lexus replacement part is only available when combined with the control valve assembly (which the solenoid filter actually protects!). You don't have to buy a whole rack but you cannot get the filter molding by itself. Most old ones should clean up if you are gentle. I wasn't and poked a great hole in mine.

I had my steering rack refurbished here in the UK and they said they replaced it, but I have not been brave enough to confirm this by taking it off and checking it.

You should be able to strike the edge of the thin nut that holds the solenoid on and knock it loose. Please don't take offence from this, but make sure you are hitting it anti-clockwise!

Good luck,

Leadfoot.

I sprayed some WD40 on it first, let it soak in, spray again.

I had the car up on jack stands (with jack still in place - you can't be too safe) and had to wrap one arm around one of the control arms for leverage. It was a bugger getting it loose but you should be able to do it. I used an adjustable wrench btw.