Throttle Delay

91ls400

Just got a great 99 ls400...still have the 91ls. Anyways the 99 has a throttle response problem. I press the pedal down and instinctively i press it down until something happens, causing for a considerable jerk when it finally goes. Its most noticable when stopping and then making a turn. I dont know the layout of the 99 at all, I need help! The new car is pearl white, beige leather, got about 90k on it.

Just got a great 99 ls400...still have the 91ls.  Anyways the 99 has a throttle response problem. I press the pedal down and instinctively i press it down until something happens, causing for a considerable jerk when it finally goes.  Its most noticable when stopping and then making a turn.  I dont know the layout of the 99 at all, I need help!  The new car is pearl white, beige leather, got about 90k on it.

Hello: First put some fuel cleaner in the tank, Techtron with the best octane gas you can get, 93 or a little higher if youcan find it, also take a look to your air filter maybe is dirty also, but at that low speed that should have no bearing unless it is so dirty that little air goes into to it. If you notice no change, then you need to take it to a mechanic, probably need to replace the TPS. If you notice change with the fuel cleaner, then I would replace the fuel filter. But it looks like the TPS is worn out. If none of these suggestions seem to work then need to take it to a good mechanic, one that likes to run race cars because they cannot run a race car with those troubles listed, thus they are very good a trobleshooting problems like yours.

Hope this helps.

C. PR

do you know when was the last tune-up?you have to be easy on the pedal b/c there s so much power the car will jerk at stop lights if you gas too much. i also owned a 91ls but when i got the 98 i had to get used to the pedal response.if this is not the case run some fuel injector cleaner like cardona said, if that doesnt work try a full tune-up this consists of air&fuel filter, spark plugs and change the oil. make sure to check the tranny fluid also

Welcome to the world of the electronic throttle.

They all do it, and its normal. There isn't anything you can do but get used to it. Driving in ECT PWR mode helps somewhat.

You will get used to it though.

Its not anything thats too hard to deal with, i guess ill just have to get used to it, it hasnt been long since a tune-up (maybe 10k ago)... I've also noticed that my 91 has a better kick to it if the pedal is to the floor as compared to the 99, im assuming that this might be the different transmission in the newer models?

I've also noticed that my 91 has a better kick to it if the pedal is to the floor as compared to the 99, im assuming that this might be the different transmission in the newer models?

now i dont know about that the 99 has 290hp while i believe the 91 only had like 255hp my 91 didnt have anything on my 98 as far as power

Yeah man, it's the electronic throttle setup. It seems to be a problem for nearly every Toyota built car, from camry to LS430. They've been trying to figure this out forever. Their might be a software update you can have the dealership do that changes the computer's settings on shift points and lag time. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do believe there is something out there. It's worth the call to your local dealership to ask. It seems like everyone who buys a Toyota these days has that same complaint. My parents just bought a new solero convertible recently and my dad instantly noticed this too, and complained about it as well. Guys in the office have new ES models...complain about it...new camry...complain about it too.

Yeah man, it's the electronic throttle setup. It seems to be a problem for nearly every Toyota built car, from camry to LS430. They've been trying to figure this out forever. Their might be a software update you can have the dealership do that changes the computer's settings on shift points and lag time. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do believe there is something out there. It's worth the call to your local dealership to ask. It seems like everyone who buys a Toyota these days has that same complaint. My parents just bought a new solero convertible recently and my dad instantly noticed this too, and complained about it as well. Guys in the office have new ES models...complain about it...new camry...complain about it too.

adding to this... i have a 2005 Lexus Es330.. and i did complain to the dealer about the tranny jerk... They updated a new software to the computer and said it will reduce the jerk by alot (not completely thou). My tranny lags for 1second then it takes off with a nasty jerk so im hoping (im going to drive it tommorow) that it reduced the lag from gas pedal to half a second and reduced the jerk