She's Leaking

nc211

Hmmmm... <_< Good point on the rebuilt rack. Yeah I want to do this becuase I want to keep this car for many many years...I love it! But, if it looks like it's going to be a mother of a job, then I might just wait. I do think the inner tie rods are bad, or at least on the passenger side anyway. Let me think about this for a minute or two......

Hmmmm... <_<  Good point on the rebuilt rack. Yeah I want to do this becuase I want to keep this car for many many years...I love it! But, if it looks like it's going to be a mother of a job, then I might just wait. I do think the inner tie rods are bad, or at least on the passenger side anyway. Let me think about this for a minute or two......

whatever the case, rest asured you will probably fix the wobble too! if you need any help let me know, i will be happy to walk you through it over the phone. did one last weekend on a buddies LS.

Army......man, got your PM. I will tomorrow, got the fiance' and a house FULL of trick or treaters with me tonight. Son...you are the man. You wear boots that 99% of us will never qualify for. Thanks J....if you're 1/2 half as loyal to your life as you are to this website....well...you got my vote!

PS, to all the newbies...if you've just purchased a used LS400, no matter what year. Welcome to the TRUE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION!

Blake.... :cheers:

PS, I think it's time I send in my $50 for the club. Steve, PM me please.

Hmmmm... <_<   Good point on the rebuilt rack. Yeah I want to do this becuase I want to keep this car for many many years...I love it! But, if it looks like it's going to be a mother of a job, then I might just wait. I do think the inner tie rods are bad, or at least on the passenger side anyway. Let me think about this for a minute or two......

whatever the case, rest asured you will probably fix the wobble too! if you need any help let me know, i will be happy to walk you through it over the phone. did one last weekend on a buddies LS.

Actually, my drunkard' self did not realize that I can upgrade to gold on the site in general ;) . I love holloween! I'm not too familiar with member's personal names, just know a few. Next payday, I'm signing up. I've gotten at least $50 worth of knowledge from this site, don't cha' think? :D

You should mention which Steve should PM you.

UPDATE:

Not the steering rack. It's the coolant. Just got back from 3 day trip, car has been sitting in the driveway. I've got a big leak stain now, and it's definetly red. The coolant resevor is way below the low setting, like almost to the bottom, which makes me feel like it's a hose. It's coming from the bottom of the engine, not the radiator. I can see the top side of the undercarage plastic cover is soaked in it. It's on the driver's side only. The passenger side is dry. It seems it's right below the oil filter. I haven't had a chance to take the air intake plastic off yet to get a better look down into the enging. Question: Could it be the waterpump? It was supposedly replaced as instructed, and documented 18 months ago with the timing belt. But since it hasn't been running at all since last wednesday, would it leak? Or do you think it's just a bad hose clamp or something? The leak stain is about the same size of a large pizza, just in a more oval shape due to the nature of my driveway.

If it is the waterpump, wouldnt you guys think the Lexus Dealer should pay full price to repair it, since they intalled it back in May 04', 24k miles ago? Just seems very premature to me.

nc211, time to get underneath the car one more time. I think your setup should be the same as mine in which case the plastic cover behind the crankshaft pulley has a small opening at the bottom which allows water pump leaks to drain through and it will be evident if you pump is leaking. If they replaced the pump last year then this has to be something else. If it is a pump issue then I would definitely negotiate something with them (50% off). Let us know what you find.

I found it. It's coming from the top of the engine, and running down around the components. It's coming from where the radaitor's lower hose connects to the top of the engine. There is a second, smaller hose connected to the same part that appears to have slipped back a bit from it's seat. I've attached photos. By the way, what is this part? Is that the water pump that I'm pointing at?

Edit: Nevermind on what the part is, did some research of my manuals and figured out it's the thermostat housing, and the hose is a bypass hose. $5+/-.

Whew....dodged a bullet on that one!

post-15797-1131313992_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1131314002_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1131314011_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1131314022_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1131314033_thumb.jpg

I found it. It's coming from the top of the engine, and running down around the components. It's coming from where the radaitor's lower hose connects to the top of the engine. There is a second, smaller hose connected to the same part that appears to have slipped back a bit from it's seat. I've attached photos. By the way, what is this part? Is that the water pump that I'm pointing at?

Edit: Nevermind on what the part is, did some research of my manuals and figured out it's the thermostat housing, and the hose is a bypass hose. $5+/-.

good to hear. and you never did call... :whistles: do you not like me? :unsure:

LOL :lol:

Oh...is that guilt I hear?? <_< You been taking pointers from my fiance'? Why do you think I'm up to 3 cats, swinging from the curtains? Guilt. Army, sorry man I simply forgot. Last week was a mother, had 3 days to do 5 days worth of work before flying home to KC to roast my dad at his retirement party. He called me the morning after, and the first thing I said was "get a job!" Hahahaha.

good to hear. and you never did call... :whistles: do you not like me? :unsure:

LOL :lol:

Well, I was close anyway. It's actually the thermostat housing seal itself that is leaking. Mechanic says to replace it instead of just the seal and it'll last another 10 years 100k. Not bad at $45 from trademotion. Heck, might as well get a new thermostat too for $13 since I'll be in there anyway. The dealership quoted me $77.90 for the housing! :o That is a 41.4% mark-up from MSRP in general! What a bunch of theives. I really do feel sorry for some of those people out there that don't know about this site and are paying those prices.

nc211 save that $45. Get a new gasket and if your concerned about it sealing this time add a small amount of Permatex Ultra Blue to both sides of the gasket and your done. I don't see why you need a new housing? The thermostat should be fine if it was replaced with the pump last year and make sure you reinstall the thermostat pointing in the same direction and with the valve at top (just as it should be when you open it).