Extended Warranty For New Rx330

rchan87

I got an extended warranty for my new RX330 covering me bumper to bumper for 7 years or 100K miles for $1280. Paid an extra $100 for a full refund option at the end of 7 years if I don't make a claim on it. Any opinions if the extended warranty is necessary? Anyone with past Lexus experience? I know it's a Lexus and shouldn't have any problems. However, it is a first year model and all the new features may not be long term tested yet. Thanks in advance for any information or opinions.

you are exactly right

it is a lexus

but all thing being equal a test and lab is only to "try" and fabricate real world situations

so for any first year i would definatly especially one with a new engine and tranny plus body

it will be better than any other first year but you always

want to

C.Y.A

the 100 you gave them is more for them as it keeps you from going in for minor stuff

but a good breakdown or anylittle part will be worth more than 100

so you definatly made a good move

My Lexus experience long term comes from my dad's 98 LS400, which has almost 140,000 miles on it. Its never needed any kind of repair that would have been covered by the warranty.

I didn't get it on my ES just for that reason, I didn't figure I'd ever use it. Since you have the refund option though, probably was worth it for the peice of mind.

My previous vehicle was a Ford Explorer, which I did buy the warranty on. I only used it once, it paid for a $60 part, and thats on a Ford if you get my drift. I'd expect that you'll never need it.

I agree with you on the reliability part. I have a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 SE with 155,000 miles on it. That particular model was made in Japan. Never had a single problem other than wear and tear parts. In fact, I'm still on my original clutch. These guys know how to build with reliability. If it wasn't for the refund option, I probably wouldn't have gotten the extended warranty either.

they bulid amazing vehicles

but i guess i am a perfectionist

and i wouldn't have minded having an exteneded warrenty

as i know of about a few thousand dollars to get fixed

as i am also a tech i know where something is amiss and is on the way out the door

I wish I purchased that extended warranty!

My 99 RX300 with 95,000 miles just lost its tranny! Lexus' quote to fix the problem was going to cost me $7,800!!! After I picked

myself off the ground, I got the car towed to an AAMCO dealer. The AAMCO dealer thinks

it is a torque converter problem, but will eventually cost me around $3,600 instead.

But, 20/20 hindsight, who would have thought my tranny would have gotten only 95,000 miles...

Actually I have heard problems like that with the RX' tranny now that I think about it.

Probably smart that you bought the warranty LOL.

Hell, $7800? I'd have told them to keep it LOL.

Heck, you think $1855 is a lot? When I bought my 99 E320 they wanted $2700 for it (7/100k). And it wasn't even bumper to bumper coverage. I told them thanks but no thanks.

The only reason I bought the extended warranty for the RX330 is because they offered a refund at the end of 7/100k if I didn't use it.

Extended warranties are where they make a LOT of money, especially on used cars. You ABSOLUTELY can negotiate with them. Check out Platinum Warranty. I bought a warranty directly from them for my old Jeep Gr. Cherokee Ltd and it was well worth it. Very easy to deal with (I made 3 claims with them in 1 year and no problems).

http://www.platinumwarrantycorp.com/

Get your best deal!

JP

Recently purchased a platinum extended warranty for my 2000 Rx300, even though it has not required any repairs. It is of course a gamble, but I am betting that something will go wrong in the next 4 years and that the repairs would have cost me more than the $1800 I paid for the warranty.

:huh: It's a little too late to ask the question if you have already bought the warranty. Extended warranties are an additional profit center for the dealer, and also for the manufacturer. (If a dealer tries to sell you something, it is not because he likes you.) The manufacturer knows to the nickel how much the maintenance cost of a vehicle should be, and it prices the warranty accordingly. The manufacturer's estimated cost of the standard warranty is built into the price of the car.

If you are the kind of driver who abuses a car, then maybe an extended warranty makes sense. If you watch your fluid levels, do not race, and do not go off road, it is a waste of money.

• 3 weeks later...

Stang hit the nail on the head in an earlier post in this thread. He stated that if you watch your fluid levels, do not race, and stay on pavement, all extended warranties are a waste of your hard-earned money (and a huge profit center for the car manufacturers and dealers). The only thing I can add is to change your oil and oil filter regularly, regardless of whether your change interval is 3K or 5K or 7K miles. That is the single best thing you can do for your vehicle (regardless of whether it's a Lexus, a Rolls Royce, or a '91 Taurus) to prolong its longevity.

I've owned more than 20 vehicles during my 33 years of driving, sometimes 5 at one time. I have meticulously maintained them all and driven several of them beyond 180,000 miles before deciding to replace them. I've still never needed an extended warranty on any one of them.

If you're a habitual car abuser, then buy the extended warranty. But if you will routinely and thoroughly care for your vehicle the way its owner's manual tells you to, don't waste your money.