Mp-3 Player

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for $30 you can get a FM transmittor for your mp3 player, ipod. cd player, all that jazz...or for $20 you cna get a usb stick reader that reads mp3 off a USB stick, plugs into the cig. lighter..and transmits a FM station on one of 5 availible presets that came with it..i bought mine at Costco

• 2 months later...

You've got a lot of good suggestions here, but so far no one has mentioned a significant difference: some of these (fm transmitters and cassette adapters, notably) allow a very simple connection for the sound to play through the Lexus audio system. Others (notably VAIS) have interface equipment that will allow you to control the external device (especially if it happens to be an iPod) through the Lexus audio head unit. These solutions are more expensive but also more elegant (and probably safer in a car that's in motion).

You've got a lot of good suggestions here, but so far no one has mentioned a significant difference: some of these (fm transmitters and cassette adapters, notably) allow a very simple connection for the sound to play through the Lexus audio system. Others (notably VAIS) have interface equipment that will allow you to control the external device (especially if it happens to be an iPod) through the Lexus audio head unit. These solutions are more expensive but also more elegant (and probably safer in a car that's in motion).

I received the VAIS SLI this morning, installed it in less than an hour w/ limited experience. Works great, the quality of sound is significantly better than the Monster FM adapter I was using...literally night and day difference. It now sounds as good as the CD output. I have the Mark Levinson system.

The integration with the stereo display and steering wheel controls works very well.

I received the VAIS SLI this morning, installed it in less than an hour w/ limited experience. Works great, the quality of sound is significantly better than the Monster FM adapter I was using...literally night and day difference. It now sounds as good as the CD output. I have the Mark Levinson system.

The integration with the stereo display and steering wheel controls works very well.

Nice going! Where does the interface unit sit? Where is the iPod kept? how are the two physically connected?

Nice going! Where does the interface unit sit? Where is the iPod kept? how are the two physically connected?

I placed the VAIS unit inside the side panel at the passengers left foot (the smaller panel furthest forward) and ran the cable into the glove box. The cable is just long enough for the passanger to manually operate the Ipod from the front passenger seat if prefered otherwise it sits safely in the glove box.

The VAIS takes full control of the Ipod and is controlled from the radio or steering wheel controls.

There is also an option to switch to "safe mode" which allows control from the Ipod interface directly, but you lose all display info on the Lexus Radio. You can still use trigger the next or previous song from the steering wheel, but no other functions work.

As I mentioned the sound quality is excellent, far superior to any FM transmitter. There are a few oddities to the controls though;

1. It only allows playing from Playlists on the Ipod.

2. The display works as follows-

ARTIST = Playlist Name

TITLE= Title

3. "Shuffle" mode does not work properly

I contacted Vais Technology at info@vaistech.com. They said the "SoundLinQ (Model SLI) will work in my RX400h. Their cost is $299.99, but unfortunately they do not have any installers in the Seattle area.

This is the model I just installed, read post above....took 30 minutes to install.

This is the model I just installed, read post above....took 30 minutes to install.

How did you know how to remove the panel and where the harness was located?

Thanks

I found some other posts in this forum with details....but it is very simple:

1. Remove bezel around shifter start at the bottom 4 clips- pull up on the outer trim around the shifter (not the inside trim ring- the outer ring) This will remove the entire panel around the shifter

2. Remove heated seat panel/cig lighter, 2 clips pull it toward you-straight out

3. you will see 2 gold 10mm bolts, remove two bolts under this panel that hold the radio in

4. You need to grab the bottom of the radio and give it a little tug there is a couple of clips holding it in. slide the radio out.

5. remove the inside panel at the feet of the passenger (left foot) furthest forward. This is the smallest panel and has exposed clips. You will place the VAIS unit down here and run the Ipod cable to the glove box or whereever you prefer and the other end of the cable to the back of the radio.

6. close it up and enjoy!

NOTE: When you pull the radio out it will rest on the leather part of the lower dash...be sure to put a soft cloth under this, as I left indents in the leather where the metal braket of the radio rested on the leather. The leather is very soft and dents very easily.

How did you know how to remove the panel and where the harness was located?

Thanks

Check out the pinned thread at the top of this fourm. In there is a link to an installer who shows the procedure.

It is eye wateringly simple.

• 2 weeks later...

digitalfx,

I'm interested in this product but have read mixed reviews about its installation on other Lexus models. Now that you've had the SoundLinQ SLI installed for a few weeks, what problems (if any) have you experienced? Were there any surprises or information you learned about its functionality that was not known before installation?

Regards,

Mike

digitalfx,

I'm interested in this product but have read mixed reviews about its installation on other Lexus models. Now that you've had the SoundLinQ SLI installed for a few weeks, what problems (if any) have you experienced? Were there any surprises or information you learned about its functionality that was not known before installation?

Regards,

Mike

Overall I am very pleased with the unit....but there are several things that could be improved.

First, tech support is weak at best. I called several times and the only response I got was "thats the way it was designed" when I offered suggestions for improvement, it was like they had no idea what I was talking about.

In order to play songs from the Ipod, you must create playlists. The playlist cannot contain more than 99 songs. The VAIS will not play music unless it is a playlist. The problem this presents is that it limits the way you access your music....for example if you want to listen to a specific artist.

The work around I am currently using- I created a playlist for each artist and placed all the songs for that artist inside. This works ok except scrolling thru dozens of artists on the Lexus radio is a royal pain.

The "feature" that I have the biggest problem with is the way they implement the Random mode and Disc Random mode...these do not work well. Specifically Disc Random, this mode only randomly selects albums inside the current playlist. Since I created numerous playlist by artist name I would like to see Disc Random mode pull from all the available playlists. NOTE: a playlist on the ipod is treated like a DISC. You scroll thru the various playlists using the DISC up/down buttons. Therefore it is natural for DISC RANDOM to randomly select songs from the various playlists...this is NOT the case. I have talked w/ tech support about this several times and offered suggestions, but each time I was told:

"Thats the way it was designed"

I noticed today that when I receive a bluetooth phone call the radio display blanks out as the radio is paused. The phone conversation is now over the radio speakers. When I disconnect the phone call and the Ipod starts playing again, the display now says "NO TITLE" . I have to cycle thru all the radio inputs to get the display back.

One other issue which was reported earlier in this Forum- You have to cycle thru the inputs twice to get to the CD1 (Ipod) input. For me this is not a big issue as I use the Ipod 99 percent of the time....although it should be addressed in an update.

Again, overall I am pleased. Install was simply, sound quality is good and it interfaces well with the Lexus radio.

digitalfx,

I can't thank you enough for your post concerning your experiences, likes/dislikes.

When you were playing a song, did the radio display the artist, song, album, etc? Did it scroll or did it function as the RDS does for the radio?

Mike

digitalfx,

Regards,

Mike

Overall I am very pleased with the unit....but there are several things that could be improved.

First, tech support is weak at best. I called several times and the only response I got was "thats the way it was designed" when I offered suggestions for improvement, it was like they had no idea what I was talking about.

In order to play songs from the Ipod, you must create playlists. The playlist cannot contain more than 99 songs. The VAIS will not play music unless it is a playlist. The problem this presents is that it limits the way you access your music....for example if you want to listen to a specific artist.

The work around I am currently using- I created a playlist for each artist and placed all the songs for that artist inside. This works ok except scrolling thru dozens of artists on the Lexus radio is a royal pain.

The "feature" that I have the biggest problem with is the way they implement the Random mode and Disc Random mode...these do not work well. Specifically Disc Random, this mode only randomly selects albums inside the current playlist. Since I created numerous playlist by artist name I would like to see Disc Random mode pull from all the available playlists. NOTE: a playlist on the ipod is treated like a DISC. You scroll thru the various playlists using the DISC up/down buttons. Therefore it is natural for DISC RANDOM to randomly select songs from the various playlists...this is NOT the case. I have talked w/ tech support about this several times and offered suggestions, but each time I was told:

"Thats the way it was designed"

I noticed today that when I receive a bluetooth phone call the radio display blanks out as the radio is paused. The phone conversation is now over the radio speakers. When I disconnect the phone call and the Ipod starts playing again, the display now says "NO TITLE" . I have to cycle thru all the radio inputs to get the display back.

One other issue which was reported earlier in this Forum- You have to cycle thru the inputs twice to get to the CD1 (Ipod) input. For me this is not a big issue as I use the Ipod 99 percent of the time....although it should be addressed in an update.

Again, overall I am pleased. Install was simply, sound quality is good and it interfaces well with the Lexus radio.

If you are looking to buy a VAIS unit, make sure you can truly live with the design quirks mentioned here on the board before buying one.

I have had mine since August. I bought it eyes open after reading the reviews here from those who already had installed one. I agree, the sound quality is excellent. The rest of the software was very inconsistent and you really had to work hard to get playlists to play correctly.

I noticed a month or so ago that someone had upgraded their software and it worked much better. I contacted VAIS and they said the version I had (3.42) was "very old" and to return it to be reprogrammed. So, off I went to the garage in the cold Chicago winter to de-install the unit. By the way, you have to remove even the head unit cables when you take the VAIS unit out so the entire audio unit has to come out each time.

I sent it in and recieved it back about 10 days later with software version 3.52 on it. I installed it but it suddenly would not work with my iPod! I tried it with my sons iPod and it worked. I wrote to VAIS and it seems that now they can program it in two communications speeds, slow and fast. They sent it back to me in the fast mode which doesn't work with my 3G iPod. Now my only remedy is to take my 400h apart (again) and wait another week or so for them to reprogram it or buy a new iPod. Why on earth they didn't call or write to ask before assuming is beyond me.

Because I have to use it in the AUX mode for now while I contemplate the next move I can't tell you if the software is any better.

Shebco,

My objective was/is the same as yours, to go in eyes wide open. I read your post and have a few questions:

* I'm not sure I understand your comment "you really had to work hard to get playlists to play correctly." Could you please explain this further?

* I was able to get an electronic copy of the installation/operations manual. The manual shows the unit can be disconnected from all of the cables. If this is true, why would I have to remove the head unit cables if I need to remove the VAIS unit?

* I was aware of the 2 comm speeds but understood my iPod Mini could connect with the high speed. Is my understanding correct?

Regards,

Mike