Code 71... Ongoing Problem For Sc300

rizinglion

Last december, I got a code 71 (egr system failure)... I had the egr valve and vacuum modulator replaced and had the throttle body cleaned. Car ran good for awhile but recently the problem has resurfaced.

This time around I had the egr tube removed and cleaned as well as a thorough cleaning of the throttle body again.

Guess what, code 71 persists... The dealer advised that I replace the egr temp sensor as it may be faulty but isn't that just a warning sensor or does it actually send info to the ecu to make adjustments?

I took it out and it was full of gunk. I cleaned it off and replaced it but no go, light still on after disconnecting the battery cables for an hr. My gas mileage is also suffering a bit. I'm leaning towards a mechanical part being bad in the system, at least I'd like to think so before spending $150 for a new sensor. Push come to shove, it's a DIY if it comes down to that.

What's the 411 on this one?

• 2 weeks later...

The code 71 saga continues...

Well, this week I had the original shop replace the modulator, egr temp sensor, and pcv valve (for the fly). After clearing the code, by nightfall it had returned. The car had been parked for awhile before I jumped on the expressway.

Aargh... I'm going to try cleaning the throttle body AGAIN and see if that makes a difference before surrendering it over to the dealer. My new egr is only 7 months old so I have a hard time accepting that it's the culprit.

current new parts:

egr valve

modulator

temp sensor

pcv valve

throttle body cleaning was performed by shop several times

I'm lost. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Tell me about it. I could remove it but then I would lose some gas mileage and perhaps performance. I'd rather keep the engine as designed, to be honest. I made an appointment with the dealer. There goes some more of my stereo money but hopefully it'll drive like new.

• 2 weeks later...

The saga ends:

$350 later, turns out one of the vaccum hoses for the egr wasn't connected and the intake passage of the throttle body was clogged. The dealer had to take everything apart and physically clean it. Vs the other shop just sprayed cleaner in.

Needless to say, I'm content now. She drives like a charm and with that out the way, it's time to tackle the supension.

I'm still looking for a good shop in South Florida to do the suspension. Anyone in the area, a referral would be much appreciated. Let me know what you paid for in labor. Hopefully, when all this post Hurricane clean up is done, I'll be able to get it taken care of.