06 Lx 470 Vs 01 Lx 470

cthronson

I have a 2001 LX 470 getting up on miles. I suspect the 2007 LX 470 (550?) will be built on the Sequoia platform, and may well not have the same tremendous tank-like build quality as the outgoing model.

If so, I am deciding whether to keep my 2001 or get the outgoing 2006 model. In that regard, I am wondering if Lexus has cheapened the '06 in any way (visible or otherwise) from my '01--such as thinner leather, more plastic, less robust underpinnings, whatever.

I only ask because of my experiences with the tragic downfall of Mercedes, and some of the cheapened, decontented vehicles that company has been foisting on the public in recent years.

The two LX 470s visually look essentially the same, but I haven't made any kind of detailed study. I know nav is standard, along with side air bags, etc., but is the basic vehicle essentially the same?

Thanks

I went from an 03 Landcruiser to the 06 LX470 just because of the increased power. The new engine is alot quicker than the old one. I have been very disappointed in the CHEAP Dunlop tires and Lexus not being able to balance them correctly!!

I went from an 03 Landcruiser to the 06 LX470 just because of the increased power. The new engine is alot quicker than the old one. I have been very disappointed in the CHEAP Dunlop tires and Lexus not being able to balance them correctly!!

I agree about the cheap tires. They should put C rated LT tires on a rig this big not passenger tires. Reguarding the original question. 98-06 are the same basic vehicle with some enhancements over the model life. Added electronic controls and of course that VVTi in 2006 model. Same basic engine. The best deal on a LC/LX is a low mileage used model. These vehicles should be good for 300K+ miles.

From '03+, the transmission was changed to a 5spd auto rather than the previous 4spd. The gear ratios are lower, so better acceleration from a stop, plus the overdrive is higher, so maybe a tiny bit better fuel economy on the highway. Shifter was also changed to a gate-style shifter. Driveshafts/U-joints are beefier on the '03+.

• 3 weeks later...

oh i forgot i would keep the 01 the only reason i got an 06 is because my 99 was in a crash and the body shop did not do a good job they actualy did but my hood keep bubbling up and it was right in my line of sight when driving and just got me in a bad mood they painted it twice so after that i was just frustrated and traded it in.