Lexus Extended Warranty

lwlee

Bought 2002 rx300 from a nonLexus dealer in Queens, NY. I understand I can qualified for a Lexus warranty with check out. Can anyone tell me if they've done something similar in NYC? Which warranty, gold or platinum? How much did you pay? Which dealer?

Bought 2002 rx300 from a nonLexus dealer in Queens, NY.  I understand I can qualified for a Lexus warranty with check out.  Can anyone tell me if they've done something similar in NYC?  Which warranty, gold or platinum?  How much did you pay?  Which dealer?

You might have to e-mail the rep for this forum directly. Go to the first posting as his contact info is there. B)

:cheers:

I started calling the local Lexus dealers. 7 yrs/100k miles, no deductible seemed the most logical choice for my car.

Price ranged from a low of $1875 (Rallye) to a high of $2550 (TriCounty). It seemed the standard rate is $2150. This should be easily discounted.

Platinum seemed the choice that dealers wanted to talk about. Since my car is still in its original warranty, it is not necessary for an inspection. In fact, several dealerships said they could do it over the phone.

Main reason for the warranty was to protect myself from the sludge issue. Lexus Manhattan said it was not part of the extended warranty because it was considered a case of neglected maintenance. In addition, several forum messages indicated that Lexus have now implemented an 8yr/unlimited miles coverage for the sludge issue if you can show that the car was regularly maintained. In this case, I'll probably not opt for the warranty and just be meticulous with oil changes using synthetic.

Bought 2002 rx300 from a nonLexus dealer in Queens, NY.  I understand I can qualified for a Lexus warranty with check out.  Can anyone tell me if they've done something similar in NYC?  Which warranty, gold or platinum?  How much did you pay?  Which dealer?

You might have to e-mail the rep for this forum directly. Go to the first posting as his contact info is there. B)

Get the Lexus warranty . Definitely worth it. Its also transferrable so when you try to sell its will add alot more value to your car. You also may be out of the 4yr/50k mile range you have to purchase it shortly. As far as the engine the damage may already be done. Ive seen many of used car dealers buy a sludged Lexus and then temporarily mask by using synthetic oil so it doesnt smoke. Good Luck with the car... check out Rallyes Service Dept ...

Did your RX receive oil changes at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles since the day it was brand new? If so sludge is IMPOSSIBLE. 99.9% of RX's never get sludge. If you are still concerned, pay someone $50-100 to remove one of your valve covers

so you can look and see whether or not there is any sludge. If no sludge,

then there's no legitimate need to spend $2,000 on an extended warranty.

There's no legitimate need to use synthetic motor oil either if you plan on

changing the oil at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles.

The terrible side effect of spending money on extended warranties is that the

car owner considers it like a security blanket and is much less likely to pump money into frequent preventive maintenance.

Example: The owner who buys an extended warranty will likely stretch engine oil and filter changes out to the 6 month / 5,000 mile limit instead of using a more frequent interval like 3-4 months or 3,000 - 4,000 miles. And instead of changing the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles they won't even bother with something like that until 60,000 miles or more. And instead of replacing oxygen sensors at 80,000 miles or so they'll wait until they are so worn the check engine light is tripped.

End result:

the car of an owner who bought an extended warranty will have alot more mechanical wear and tear after 100,000 miles compared to the car of an owner who spent $2,000 over the years on more frequent preventive maintenance.

End result:

the car of an owner who bought an extended warranty will have alot more mechanical wear and tear after 100,000 miles compared to the car of an owner who spent $2,000 over the years on more frequent preventive maintenance.

Have to disagree with you monarch, I maintain my car to the point where I've been told I have OCD I am so religous about it & I have the Lexus extended warranty. I am having my car checked from bumper to bumper soon to see if any work needs to be done before the warranty expires & will advise on what (if anything) was performed. There are many other components of the car that could possibility fail where the extended warranty would come in handy.......not just for the engine & tranny. :rolleyes: :whistles:

The car is still pretty young, 35k miles. I've got a year/15k to decide whether the Lexus warranty is warranted.

Heard great things about Rallye, will definitely give them a try.

Get the Lexus warranty . Definitely worth it. Its also transferrable so when you try to sell its will add alot more value to your car. You also may be out of the 4yr/50k mile range you have to purchase it shortly. As far as the engine the damage may already be done. Ive seen many of used car dealers buy a sludged Lexus and then temporarily mask by using synthetic oil so it doesnt smoke. Good Luck with the car... check out Rallyes Service Dept ...

I don't have the history except for carfax but given it's low mileage, 35k, hopefully I am not afflicted.

I plan to use synthetic oil and to follow maintainence religiously. I got a good tip from another forum, go to Toyota's Express Lube for regular oil changes to save money. V6 engine is the same in Highlander so they'll be able to handle the RX300.

Did your RX receive oil changes at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles since the day it was brand new? If so sludge is IMPOSSIBLE. 99.9% of RX's never get sludge. If you are still concerned, pay someone $50-100 to remove one of your valve covers

so you can look and see whether or not there is any sludge.  If no sludge,

then there's no legitimate need to spend $2,000 on an extended warranty.

There's no legitimate need to use synthetic motor oil either if you plan on

changing the oil at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles.

WarrantyDirect has the most pristine record of all the 3rd party companies but comparing their rate with the Lexus 7yr/100k. It's not better in fact it looks worse.

Term/Miles* Will expire on... Or when odometer reaches... $0 $50 $100 $200

4 Years / 60,000 Miles 9/28/2009 60,000 Miles $1,762 $1,627 $1,517 $1,436

4 Years / 75,000 Miles 9/28/2009 75,000 Miles $2,112 $1,947 $1,812 $1,672

4 Years / 100,000 Miles 9/28/2009 100,000 Miles $2,351 $2,191 $2,026 $1,831

5 Years / 60,000 Miles 9/28/2010 60,000 Miles $1,811 $1,676 $1,566 $1,468

5 Years / 75,000 Miles 9/28/2010 75,000 Miles $2,171 $2,006 $1,871 $1,726

5 Years / 100,000 Miles 9/28/2010 100,000 Miles $2,421 $2,261 $2,096 $1,902

Send an e-mail to: Jeffp@warrantydirect.com for prices from warranty direct.  B)

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today. More and more 3rd party repair shops refer repairs back to the dealers because as more cars become computerized, only the dealers can afford the expensive equipment to diagnose the damages.

Another vote for the dealer.

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today.  More and more 3rd party repair shops refer repairs back to the dealers because as more cars become computerized, only the dealers can afford the expensive equipment to diagnose the damages.

Another vote for the dealer.

Actually I beleive there is a lawsuit pending in the U.S. on behalf of the independent repair shops be able to access the same info (DVD ROMs & online factory repair manuals) as the dealers & I think they will win. B)

• 4 weeks later...

[

Actually I beleive there is a lawsuit pending in the U.S. on behalf of the independent repair shops be able to access the same info (DVD ROMs & online factory repair manuals) as the dealers & I think they will win. B)

actually there was a class action suit but most new car manufactures do allow access to their info. With Lexus you can purchase a "key". It costs around a $1000 a year for the key. I know because I investigated getting one for myself. I think most repair shops wont spend the money. I also think that Lexus has the right to charge for the info. They spend millions on this stuff. I just wish they made up do it yourself manuals like Toyota

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...