Transmission Fluid

Canopy

OK, I know there are several threads on this, but technologies change and maybe the answers are different now. I have a 1996 and 2000 LS 400.

Two questions:

1. Should the automatic transmission fluid ever be changed? My manuals suggest that perhaps it doesn't need to be changed, except under special conditions such as commercial use, dusty roads, etc. I do drive on a dirt road several miles each day.

2. If the fluid is changed, is it mandatory that only Toyota Type IV be used? Amsoil, Mobile 1, and my local SuperLube say that there now are equivalent or better alternatives to Type IV.

Since I'm not the original owner of either of these two cars, my preference would be to flush out the old (which are still pink, if not red) and replace with synthetic and then forget about it. My local Toyota dealer will sell me 15 quarts of Type IV at $4.25 a quart, which I understand from this forum isn't a bad price. I'm not sure what synthetic costs.

Then there's the issue, perhaps an old wive's tale, that you take a chance in replacing transmission fluid because there's "evidence" that leaks begin after a flush. I'm not sure I believe that, but that's what you hear.

Ok, folks, tell me what I need to do, if anything.

Transmissions don't normally wear out because of poor bearing or gear lubrication. Usually it is failure of seals and clutches - what they call soft parts. Those parts are what dictate the several types of ATF available. Toyota was very carefull in developing Type IV for their transmissions, and it produces the shift performance they want in the trans. I think it would be difficult to state unequivocally that any other fluid would be better, so my advice is to stick with Type IV.

Lexus feels that removing and refilling about two litres through the drain plug is enough to ensure a long lived trans. Doing a complete flush certainly won't hurt anything, and may be beneficial. I do the trans oil drain about every third engine oil change. Costs an extra $10.00 and takes ten minutes.

There are many myths out there that all seem to think that doing maintenance will somehow hurt things. I don't believe it. Change the fluids.

I agree 100%. The thing about using the right fluid, and please correct me if I'm wrong here because I'm no expert "thank god$$$" is tranny fluid will expand and contract with heat. If you put too much in, or the wrong kind, it can expand too much creating too much pressure on the "soft parts" and lead to failure. I remember I put some slicksortof50 tranny fluid junk in my Maxima and it screwed up the tranny pretty badly. It was slipping and chirping until the day I gave it back at the end of the lease.

amsoil is good too. Infact, did you know that amsoil was the first oil to be synthetic? I saw that on the history channel a few weeks ago about the history of oil.

Well I know that my car (92 SC400, 370,000 km) when I bought it was having trouble shifting. Going from first to second it would hang, as if rev limited, at about 6000 before shifting. This would last upwards of a second.

I bought 12 L of fluid, but only changed it 4L at a time. I swapped 4L, drove for a couple days, swapped another 4, and left it at that. The difference wasn't immediate, however the car now shifts nice and quick into each gear without pausing in between.

Personally I'd only use Toyota T-IV, but that's just me.

Cheers,

Aaron

Oh I'm just horsin' around man, not offended in the slightest. Trying to sound like a dad. It's all good amigo.

OK, I know there are several threads on this, but technologies change and maybe the answers are different now.  I have a 1996 and 2000 LS 400.

Two questions:

1.  Should the automatic transmission fluid ever be changed?  My manuals suggest that perhaps it doesn't need to be changed, except under special conditions such as commercial use, dusty roads, etc.  I do drive on a dirt road several miles each day. 

2.  If the fluid is changed, is it mandatory that only Toyota Type IV be used?  Amsoil, Mobile 1, and my local SuperLube say that there now are equivalent or better alternatives to Type IV. 

Since I'm not the original owner of either of these two cars, my preference would be to flush out the old (which are still pink, if not red) and replace with synthetic and then forget about it.  My local Toyota dealer will sell me 15 quarts of Type IV at $4.25 a quart, which I understand from this forum isn't a bad price.  I'm not sure what synthetic costs.

Then there's the issue, perhaps an old wive's tale, that you take a chance in replacing transmission fluid because there's "evidence" that leaks begin after a flush.  I'm not sure I believe that, but that's what you hear.

Ok, folks, tell me what I need to do, if anything.

Hello: Changing the Fluid is very nice, but remember that the transmission has also a filter, and 3 to 4 magnets on the bottom of the fluid pan. The filter needs to be changed at least every 30,000 miles and the magnets clean from the metal shavings produced due to the normal wear and tear of the metals. That is why it is so important to change the filter and clean the magnets. I had a Mitsubishi Diamante and the trans was very similar to this one, I used to change fluid every 15,000 thousand miles and filter every 30,000, never had to rebuilt the trans and the car had over 180,000 when I sold it.

C. PR

Hello:  Changing the Fluid is very nice, but remember that the transmission has also a filter, and 3 to 4 magnets on the bottom of the fluid pan.  The filter needs to be changed at least every 30,000 miles and the magnets clean from the metal shavings produced due to the normal wear and tear of the metals.  That is why it is so important to change the filter and clean the magnets.  I had a Mitsubishi Diamante and the trans was very similar to this one, I used to change fluid every 15,000 thousand miles and filter every 30,000, never had to rebuilt the trans and the car had over 180,000 when I sold it. 

C.  PR

I have the filter mesh screen cleaned & re-installed personally. It's as good as new. B)

:cheers:

Hello:  Changing the Fluid is very nice, but remember that the transmission has also a filter, and 3 to 4 magnets on the bottom of the fluid pan.  The filter needs to be changed at least every 30,000 miles and the magnets clean from the metal shavings produced due to the normal wear and tear of the metals.  That is why it is so important to change the filter and clean the magnets.  I had a Mitsubishi Diamante and the trans was very similar to this one, I used to change fluid every 15,000 thousand miles and filter every 30,000, never had to rebuilt the trans and the car had over 180,000 when I sold it. 

C.  PR

I have the filter mesh screen cleaned & re-installed personally. It's as good as new. B)

:cheers:

same here and it looks good as new