Replacing Engine, Transmission Mounts

lexus082

Looking into replacing the mounts for both the engine and transmission, but I was wondering if anyone new the labor rates for replacing these mounts? And if you have replaced these mounts have you noticed a difference at all with the new mounts, if so what differences, if any?

it became smoother on start up and the engine stopped vibrating the whole car. as for labor rates, i couldnt tell you becasue i did it my self...

Is is difficult to change the mounts and could you brielfy describe the process? Thanks. I know remove the bolts in the mount, but then is there any thing I have worry about such as supporting the engine during the process and if so what should I use?

Hi - I had my transmission mounts replaced at the dealer and it wasn't too expensive. Symptoms were a consistent vibration and associated noise that showed up when decelerating down from 30-20 mph. Haven't done the engine mounts yet, though they probably need it at 135k miles.

sluggo

trans mounts can be replaced by getting under the car and unbolting the tranny mount/brace to the frame but you need a second jack to support the trans then unbolt the mount from the brace and the trans itself, total of like 12 nuts and bolts, and it takes half and hour at most.

as for the engine mount its a fairly difficult job to do because its tight in there and the bolts are tight bau besides that its jsut time consuming. you need to take off the front tires and unbolt the mount from the bottom first then go it from the side and start unbolting the aluminum submounts whiile the engine is on a jack(prefeably jacked where the engine meets the trans) then you kind of have to fit the mounts through to change over the new mounts to the aluminum submounts and put it all back together. if you attempt to do this i would highly suggest getting a 14mm universal or flex socket, using a universal joint just doesnt give you enough room. also you need to unbolt the AC compressor because you might break the hoses, and you need to watch out how much you lift the engine because you can over stretch some hoses, especially power steering hoses from and to the pump which harden and crack over the years, and also you need to pay attention to coolant hoses.

• 6 months later...

trans mounts can be replaced by getting under the car and unbolting the tranny mount/brace to the frame but you need a second jack to support the trans then unbolt the mount from the brace and the trans itself, total of like 12 nuts and bolts, and it takes half and hour at most.

as for the engine mount its a fairly difficult job to do because its tight in there and the bolts are tight bau besides that its jsut time consuming. you need to take off the front tires and unbolt the mount from the bottom first then go it from the side and start unbolting the aluminum submounts whiile the engine is on a jack(prefeably jacked where the engine meets the trans) then you kind of have to fit the mounts through to change over the new mounts to the aluminum submounts and put it all back together. if you attempt to do this i would highly suggest getting a 14mm universal or flex socket, using a universal joint just doesnt give you enough room. also you need to unbolt the AC compressor because you might break the hoses, and you need to watch out how much you lift the engine because you can over stretch some hoses, especially power steering hoses from and to the pump which harden and crack over the years, and also you need to pay attention to coolant hoses.

I just replaced my transmission mount today and what a difference it made! I didn't even need to drive it to notice a difference. With only changing out the trans. mount so far (like jzz30 explained) the engine started alot smoother. It has also seemed to fix a few problems I have been having with a thump sound coming from rear of the car and also it reduced the vibrations. I noticed my exhaust more now which is more pleasing to the ear than vibrations. I highly recommend that this be replaced if you need to have it done. If you buy the part online its only 52.00 and its worth every penny. I paid more for mine at the dealer, but I would of paid twice that for the results I had after replacing it. Can't wait to have the rest of the engine mounts replaced. Also very, very easy to replace the mount! Car feels so much more solid while accelerating at lower speeds.