Check Engine Light And Code 71: Egr

moorejen

Recently, the check engine light on my 1995 SC300 turned on, and after pulling the diagnostic code it appears to be an EGR problem (Code 71).

I read that I can get more information by hooking up TE2 instead of TE1, but I haven't found any information about what those codes mean... Can anyone help?

Otherwise, what components tend to fail? How can I check that they work correctly or are broken?

Last time I drove the car, I noticed a strange smell from the vents, and then started feeling dizzy and nauseous. It passed when I rolled the windows down, so I wonder if I have an exhaust leak somewhere that's being sucked into the ventilation system.

Thanks for any help!

Jennifer

Check the egr valve modulator. Hook up a vacuum gauge between it and the egr valve. Race the motor to 2000rpm. Should have 10-13 inches of vacuum. If not your modulator is failing. If vacuum is good then check the egr valve. Apply vacuum directly to the valve. Engine should run rough. If not the intake manifold is plugged.

• 1 month later...
Check the egr valve modulator. Hook up a vacuum gauge between it and the egr valve. Race the motor to 2000rpm. Should have 10-13 inches of vacuum. If not your modulator is failing. If vacuum is good then check the egr valve. Apply vacuum directly to the valve. Engine should run rough. If not the intake manifold is plugged.

Indeed, the intake manifold appears to be plugged! (The exhaust side appears good, the valve works, the vacuum seems to be right. I tried to blow air through the intake manifold after removing the pipe, and can't make it flow at all.)

What's the best way to fix it without breaking anything? I tried pouring some SeaFoam in to dissolve the carbon build up, but I suspect that won't be enough. (It's still plugged, and filled with solvent.)

Thanks!

Jennifer

I'd buy a new intake connector. It's about $100, and you don't have to worry about getting the carbon out. It'll take more time to remove it, clean, and reinstall.

Just install a new part.

Where is the intake connector? As far as I can see, the EGR is connected directly to the intake manifold. (The blockage is on the exhaust->intake path, not on the control vacuum path.)

Thanks!

Jennifer