Manual Transmission/clutch Noise

eps0mu0

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I did a search but could not find relevant posts... so here it goes...

I have a 2yr old 2004 IS300 with ~35000 miles with manual transmission. I notice a whirring sound when engine is running. It is most noticeable when stopped or driving at low speed. At high speed, it is drowned out by engine/road noise. I notice noise goes away when I depress the clutch. It returns when clutch is released. Noise is the same whether I am in neutral or in gear.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

J.F.

I had this same problem with my manual 2004 is300 as well, i had the throw out bearings replaced and the sound wouldn't go away, but i let the car sit for a couple of months without driving it when i went on summer break and now the sound is gone... if i push the car too hard i think the sound returns... Lexus said it isn't a big deal, just an annoying sound... no harm done. hopefully this helped

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I did a search but could not find relevant posts... so here it goes...

I have a 2yr old 2004 IS300 with ~35000 miles with manual transmission. I notice a whirring sound when engine is running. It is most noticeable when stopped or driving at low speed. At high speed, it is drowned out by engine/road noise. I notice noise goes away when I depress the clutch. It returns when clutch is released. Noise is the same whether I am in neutral or in gear.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

J.F.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I am having the exact same problem. There is a loud whirring sound coming from the clutch. When I press the clutch it goes away. I can't believe Lexus would just shrug at this and say "oh well." that sucks. unfortunately I don't have the luxury of letting the car sit for a long period of time for it to just go away. Also- I don't have the resolve to not drive the car hard- I must!

Will an aftermarket clutch fix this?

(will probably throw this into a new subject, but for those who had the above-mentioned problem...)

I am considering putting in a whole new clutch- Aftermarket. I do not have any engine modifications as-of-yet, but I am putting in a turbo and the engine will run around 300 hp. What would be a good street clutch I can put in now (hopefully to get rid of this horrible noise) that will still be strong enough for the 300hp?

Thanks

Ryan

It's not the clutch release bearing. It sounds like the normal mechanical noise from a manual transmission. I answered almost the same problem in another post. If you were getting the noise when the clutch pedal was depressed or the clutch chattered during engagement - then it could be the release bearing. There is a product that claims to reduce hot transmission rattle: BG Synchroshift. I've never used it but it may help (got to do something for $14/quart). Still way cheaper than changing out a release bearing. The input bearing is possible but would be a long shot.

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Regards,

J.F.