Navigation, Malfuction

sergio7500

I purchased a used 2002 LX 470 (65,000 miles) about a month ago, the navigation was working fine, until a few days ago, it says NO DISK DETECTED, when the screen starts up. I check the navigation DVD, and it looks fine. I took the car to the dealership, but they want to charge me big bucks to fix it..

has anyone experiance anything similar PLEASE HELP ME!!

Well, for what it's worth:

I have a '98 BMW 740iL with Nav system that did the same thing. Usually, if the unit can't read the CDROM (or DVD), it means that either the disk is scratched, or the head is dirty.

So I went out and got one of those "head cleaning" CDROMS from BestBuy, and ran it a couple of times. No more problems!

I'm sure the purists would disagree on this method (it might scratch the head--the cleaning CDROMs have these small bristles sticking out of them, which swipes past the head as it rotates, thereby cleaning them). But hey, it sure beat paying the dealer big $$$.

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a used 2002 LX 470 (65,000 miles) about a month ago, the navigation was working fine, until a few days ago, it says NO DISK DETECTED, when the screen starts up. I check the navigation DVD, and it looks fine. I took the car to the dealership, but they want to charge me big bucks to fix it..

has anyone experiance anything similar  PLEASE HELP ME!!

Based upon the litmited information given it seems that the navigation DVD-ROM unit has failed. The only other option, besides the Lexus dealership, is to find one at a junkyard. The Lexus/Toyota part number is 86841-47020.

Good luck!