Once And For All... To Flush Or Not To Flush?

Gumart1

Sorry to bring this one up again. I have read every past post and can't seem to decide if flushing is safe, effective, and better than a tranny drain and fill. Also don't know if I should drop the pan and clean/change the mesh filter.

I did just buy a case of 12 quarts of Toyota ATF Type IV for just $3.40/quart so I am ready to roll either way.

I have 99k miles on my 1998 and want to ensure the tranny continues to run as smooth as it does now. The car has received all the tranny fluid changes that the Dealer would normally do at the required service intervals. I believe it was done at 30, 60, and 90k.

I noticed that the fluid has an unpleasant odor but I don't think it is a burned smell. I thought my 92's fluid didn't smell at all so is an odor normal?

Also the fluid is a medium to dark brown but it is not black. I'm guessing it is in acceptable shape because of the maintenance but then again I'm sure the Dealer never even looked at it other than change the 2 quarts back at 90k.

Without the technical knowledge, common sense tells me that replacement is preferable. I would never change 1/5th of my oil, then it would always be contaminated.

On the other hand, I understand the transmission to be a very complex and sensitive piece of machinery and don't want to upset anything.

Any strong fact-based opinions here? Thanks.

sorry i cant say anything thats a fact but i did flush mine at 119k and the fluid was a ddirty brown. of course i had ust did the drain and about 2 weeks prior with the dexton3, anyway i did it myself and the tranny def. feels totally diff. a lot smoother and i checked periodically for any leaks and no problems as of now. this was about 2 months ago

no factory opinions here, just positive expirences with the lex! :cheers:

my tranny used to jump hard, real hard, so hard passengers used to swear we were being hit from behind! :cries: chump snake(salesman) told me he just changed the fluid. :chairshot: anyways few straight changes(2qts) and minimum effectiveness, decided to do a complete flush last night. every thing is smoooooooooooooth! even while on the freeway the car feels more stable like a well built tank! solid. no jumps at all. big ups to lexls for the tutorial!