Exhaust Tips For 1998 Ls 400

Lexuses71

Thanks

That is what is nice about the tint ,it works but does not stand out.

It works really well to complement the car and its paint.

You can only see the tint well when you open a door. In the pics just look at the daylight one and the front door which looks through the windshield. That green is the windows colour not the front glass.

Ok here is a guy on CL selling his JIC bullet exhaust.

I would buy this if i didn't have mine as it is ultra lightweight being titanium and is pretty deep.

These pics are 2 show the lenghts that i talked about before.

You can see the intial bends which used to go to the resonators by the grey metal sheilding. The Y pipe used to make a 90 degree turn at the Y to resonators and go to the resonators inlet on its side. This exhaust has some bends that could eb taken out but over all sows a much better setup. Take a look at this then look under your car for a veiw with more perspective.

I wish i could find an oem underside pic to show the exact angles.

Then i would show the pic i have in a celsior catalog of the newer LS430 exhaust path which is a great improvment .

Picture_0074.jpg

Picture_0063.jpg

SK, that's a pretty darn clean undercarriage. My question is, how quiet (or noisy) is that set up? I'm taking into consideration it's on a CL, so it may have a more 'sporty' purr...Regardless, I do see the pipe flow to the rear and that is the key item. Thanks much!

SK, one more thing....

Looking at that 1st pic of the CL exhaust installation, doesn't the heat from those pipe tips tend to melt away the bottom bumper lip they are resting against :blink: ?? I would expect they get pretty hot after driving awhile.

Because of the large surface area and thin tip material being made of titanium they cool rather quick .

Funny enough i can drive my LS for 30 minutes and it still is barely luke warm.

Sound is a tough thing to know for sure.

I love mine because it is dead quiet but i am not done as i want to free it up still which will increase the noise but as i am doing it in stages i can follow the amount of noise i want to baffle if needed.

• 1 month later...
SK, that's a pretty darn clean undercarriage. My question is, how quiet (or noisy) is that set up? I'm taking into consideration it's on a CL, so it may have a more 'sporty' purr...Regardless, I do see the pipe flow to the rear and that is the key item. Thanks much!

It's not ON a CL, it's from CL (Club Lexus). Notice the differential, it's a RWD car. Also, judging by those tail lights in the first pic it's an LS.

Those mufflers almost look like the types found on sport bikes! In other words, probably doesn't muffle much at all. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
My 1998 LS 400 has the exhaust tips fairly hidden under the rear bottom valance/bumper. There are no cutouts. The older models have the exhust tips very prominent and that look is sharp, one of the distinguishing featires of the 1st and 2nd generation of the LS.

Any other owners with my car's body style have done anything with the adding some subtle but stylish exhaust tips? Not looking to ruin the overall look, and don't want to do anything tacky. Or shuld I just forget about it because it's non-doable without having something dumb looking hanging below the bumper???? I always wanted a current car with duals, and now that I have such a car, I can't even see them! LOL!

Appreciate any input, thanks.

I didn't know the second generation LS had exhaust tips. I personally never did like the 1st generation exhaust because I believe they were too close together. Makes it look like a old hot rod or something. Anyway, the pics that SK put up are dazzling. I'm with you Lexuses71, I always wanted a car with duals also and can't see them. I just didn't like the pipes being so close together on the 1st gen. Not saying everyone else doesn't have a right to like them because the vehicle is still nice, just my own opinion.

"I didn't know the second generation LS had exhaust tips. I personally never did like the 1st generation exhaust because I believe they were too close together. Makes it look like a old hot rod or something. Anyway, the pics that SK put up are dazzling. I'm with you Lexuses71, I always wanted a car with duals also and can't see them. I just didn't like the pipes being so close together on the 1st gen. Not saying everyone else doesn't have a right to like them because the vehicle is still nice, just my own opinion".

Appreciate the input and I agree wholeheartedly. SK did his LS up very nicely for what sounds like a fairly reasonable cash outlay. I'm still in the market for something similar, but subtle. I don't know what that will be, I'd have preferred if the 2.5 gens had small cutouts for the tips to peep thru. The new LS430's have the round cutouts, although smaller in diameter than the early gen 1 LS400s I believe you are referring to. My car has such unusually low mileage on it (22K) when I bought it a couple months ago, everything still looks new underneath. So, I'm not quite ready to do 'surgery' on the exhaust just yet. But this has been a good thread because I got my answers and now better understand how to streamline, impove the exhaust flow and add tips if and when I do decide to modify it.

Conversely, there's a part of me that is also saying in my noggin "Aww, just leave it alone-it ain't broke so don't try to fix it". It may be restrictive as stock, but it is also quiet as a churchmouse and I'm personally not interested in turning my car into a semi hot rod. That's why I kept my Legend Coupe.

I agree with the noise , which is why i love mine setup as of right now.

It is no louder than stock unless i stand on the throttle.

Which is why when i do modify the rest i am replacing restrictive mufflers and resonators with more mufflers just with a straight flow design to not be power robbing but still quiet as i can;t stand noisy cars like my other 2.