Getting Pretty Low Gas Mileage Please Help!

3ztwint

Hey guys I've been searching on the site and have come to the conclusion that my gas mileage must suck. Right now my 92 es3 is getting only about 17mpg in about 70% city 30% highway driving. A normal tuneup was done recently (plugs/air filter, etc) but to no real avail in mpg improvement. There is one thing however that may be contributing: I have read the numerous posts about the transmission problems others have experienced, and though my tranny does not shift as rough as what many have posted, I feel that perhaps my throttle valve cable may be pulled out too far as at around 1200 rpm I can hear the fan whirring fairly loud as if the car was revved up higher than what the tach is showing. What do you guys think, should I check the TVC(and how should I go about this) or are there other reasons that I may be getting low mpg?

Thanks

J

The fan turns on with any load on the engine when coolant temp is in the normal spec, and it is a bit loud to begin with. =)

Sure, check the throttle cable to cure a rough shift. AFA mileage, the transmission is either in a gear or it isn't. It's not going to make a differance if it gives you the quickest blast into gears, or the slowest lug. Mileage will be the same.

I would reset the ecu (pull the EFI fuse a second and replace it). If it doesn't get better, change the o2 sensors. The generic Bosch replacements cost $25-30 each at autoparts stores.

Thanks Toysrme,

- another question is your fan somewhat loud whenever it comes on, or does the noise increase upon acceleration, because mine will get louder even on the slightest touch of the gas pedal and begin to progressively get louder until aroun 2-2.5K rpm when it shifts to second.

Thanks

J