Air Conditioning And Or Heater

Blue Donkey

When I use the air or heater, but mostly the air condition I get a foul smell for 10 minutes or more. Maybe be longer and I just get use to it. It was real bad this morning. Any thoughts? I have only had my LX 450 for about 5 months :D and did not use these options like I have been latley. I was told, maybe I need to have the air condition reconditioned, plugged hose maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

When I use the air or heater, but mostly the air condition I get a foul smell  for 10 minutes or more.  Maybe be longer and I just get use to it.  It was real bad this morning.  Any thoughts?  I have only had my LX 450 for about 5 months :D  and did not use these options like I have been latley.  I was told,  maybe I need to have the air condition reconditioned, plugged hose maybe.

Maybe a mouse found its way into your ductwork and died....................or some one hid a dead fish in it ...............or ............it was previously owned by VIKINGS............you will just have to start sniffing around and locate the problem. <_<

When I use the air or heater, but mostly the air condition I get a foul smell  for 10 minutes or more.  Maybe be longer and I just get use to it.  It was real bad this morning.  Any thoughts?  I have only had my LX 450 for about 5 months :D  and did not use these options like I have been latley.  I was told,  maybe I need to have the air condition reconditioned, plugged hose maybe.

Maybe a mouse found its way into your ductwork and died....................or some one hid a dead fish in it ...............or ............it was previously owned by VIKINGS............you will just have to start sniffing around and locate the problem. <_<

Really. Well, after doing what you “suggested” oh a long time ago I was hoping to get some feed back by some one who knew what they were talking about. Before I take it into a shop and get a run around by someone who wants to take advance of my lack of knowledge, being a girl and all. Sorry, if I sound on edge, but this is a real problem, it stinks when in use. But thanks anyway.

Please describe the smell. Musty/Mildew funky AC type smell, organic, chemical.. ?

Please describe the smell. Musty/Mildew funky AC type smell, organic, chemical.. ?

:) Thanks for your reply. The smell is like urine or mildew. My husband thinks it might be in some sort of evaporator or A/C compartment somewhere. Plugged up etc. Only he does not have a decent manual to guide him on where to begin. He found a hose through the fire wall (what he calls it) and it didn't seem to be plugged. He's not really that good at mechanics, but he's trying. Do you have any idea what we should do first? He hasn't found any good manuals for the LX450 on the web. Just a CD. Any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Don't have much experience with the AC system, but found this link that may help you.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=1...&highlight=DWD2

If you and your husband are serious about doing your own vehicle maintenance, you need to get the Factory Service Manual. I bought the Landcruiser one, because it was about $30 bucks cheaper, and the mechanicals are the same.

You can also buy a subsciption to Toyota Info line @

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

for like $10 a day. Very tedious to download all the files, but if you're on a budget, and have access to a fast computer, it can save you some bucks. You can also get the EWD manual, and the New Car Features manual while your'e on there, which are very good if you're into that sort of stuff.

:cheers:

Rookie

When I use the air or heater, but mostly the air condition I get a foul smell   for 10 minutes or more.  Maybe be longer and I just get use to it.  It was real bad this morning.  Any thoughts?  I have only had my LX 450 for about 5 months :D  and did not use these options like I have been latley.   I was told,  maybe I need to have the air condition reconditioned, plugged hose maybe.

This is what works for my smelly air conditioner in my LX 450. Turn air to outside circulate and blast on high for as long as it takes to make the smell go away (mine goes away in about 45 seconds). Supposed to dry up the smelly condensation that accumulated through the night. Also had the same problem with my old car, a Pontiac, and my mechanic said to find intake air area under passenger dash and spray a whole can of Lysol in it while air turned to high. Takes about 5 minutes of constant spraying, but it did the trick. I didn't want to spray my Lexus, so husband heard of the condensation problem fix and it worked for me.

First make sure the condensate drain is actually draining. There should be a puddle of water under the car when you park and turn off the A/C. If that hose is plugged or improperly located it would leave the bad smell in the car.

Mildew/mold grows on the evaporator coils. This is usually located under the dash in the A/C ductwork. If it's not draining or sometimes just being wet and parked for awhile it can be a breeding ground for mildew.

I got the evaporator core treatment last year and cleaned mine. Its still fresh as new.

AR4206l.jpg

http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dwd2

Anything else, spraying stuff in the vents, etc. is only a quick fix or cover up and the smell will come back.

Don't have much experience with the AC system, but found this link that may help you.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=1...&highlight=DWD2

If you and your husband are serious about doing your own vehicle maintenance, you need to get the Factory Service Manual.  I bought the Landcruiser one, because it was about $30 bucks cheaper, and the mechanicals are the same.

You can also buy a subsciption to Toyota Info line @

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

for like $10 a day.  Very tedious to download all the files, but if you're on a budget, and have access to a fast computer, it can save you some bucks.  You can also get the EWD manual, and the New Car Features manual while your'e on there, which are very good if you're into that sort of stuff.

:cheers:

Excellent link thank for that it hit the bullseye.

Rookie