94 Ls400 Stalls After A/c Is Turned Off

pfleyva

Help:

My car runs great all of the time except when I turn off the A/C or the A/C cycles off. As soon as I come to an idle after turning off the A/C the car stalls, every time. It starts right back up, no problems. The RPM's drop to almost nothing, it takes a slight glup then dies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sounds like something is wrong with the idle up circuit .

When is the last time you havd the throttle body cleaned?

Throttle body cleaning should do the trick. I have to leave my a/c on ALL THE TIME to keep from getting that check engine light associated with the throttle body code. The dealer said 1300.00 to replace the throttle body. I'm still looking for someone who can clean it for me instead. So I run the a/c because it changes the position of my throttle and keeps me from having to turn the car on and off to get control of the vehicle again. That's some a/c system we got there. Hope I can find someone soon, winter's coming. Even though I know I can just turn up the temp control to hot but the a/c button still burns more fuel with it on.

Thanks for all of your help!

A little more information:

This has been happening since I purchased the car three years ago (98K, it now has 150K). In reviewing the service records with the dealer, this problem has continually been reported since 15K.

Does it still make sense that it is the Throttle Body? If so, $1300.00 is a lot to have it replaced. Is it that hard to clean? Can I do it myself? or should I find someone willing to clean it?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Have had the same problem with my 1994 LS400, but only now and then. I'd say it's happened five or six times this year, under exactly the same scenario. We have the same year/model...hmmm. Yep, turning off the a/c causes the car to die (seems to happen if I am at idle, not with the car in motion). It's not yet a bothersome issue, but if it happens more frequently, then work will need to be done. If anyone knows how to clean the throttle body, let us know! Thanks.

• 6 years later...