Undercoating

First i have to say that as a new user and soon to be 400h owner that this website is great. I've already learned alot about the 400h even before getting one. I should be getting it next week.

My question has to do with does the 400H require undercoating for protection. This will be my fourth car and in the past the dealer has always pushed this a a necessity. Nothing was mentioned this time around.

The 400h has alot more sound deadening material under the car as Lexus was worried about people objecting to the sound of the electric motors, kind of like an expensive golf cart. So i dont think this vehicle needs undercoating. I did purchase the thin plastic protection for the hid lites only so one rock chip doesnt ruin expensive headlights, and i got my dealer to throw in leather protectant for whatever that is worth. Tell us when you take delivery, what color?

Undercoating, paint sealant, and leather protectant are all rip off snake oils. The undercoating can actually ACCELERATE rusting as it traps moisture and the leather protectant can actually cause cracking in the leather because it restricts its ability to expand, contract, and stretch.

If it was neccisary it would be done at the factory.

Thanks for getting back to me. Glad to see that i don't need to get the undercoating. The dealer didn't mention it and now I can appreciate him more for not trying to sell me something that is not required.

I should be getting it sometime next week according to my last update. I'm getting it from Rallye Lexus in Glen Cove. According to some of the postings I've seen their one of the best in the area. COLOR - Flint. I can't wait to get it. I've wanted an SUV for a real long time. I've had Toyota's for the last 15 years and figured it was time for a step up. No complaints with the Celica or Camry though.