Transmission? Please Adivse!

I have a 93' SC400 and it seems that when I first get into the car in the morning or after it has been sitting long enough for the engine to be totally cold I shift into drive and I have to wait before the gear drops into place, and even then if I take my foot off the pedal the car will move but it feels like it's not totally in gear, and then after a few seconds it will, for lack of a better, word jump and then it will drive normally. And sometimes if I just wait long enough for the car to heat up it will drop into gear like normal.

However that only happens when you first start the car, but recently when I have been at a complete stop like at a light, the car feels like it drops itself into neutral and then back into drive this happens about 3 or 4 times but when I hit the gas it drives. Also when Iam driving it feels like it drops itself out of gear but quickly comes back into it. I was wondering what the problem is, what I could do to fix it, and if anybody else has had this problem or something similar to it. Your advice would be much appreciated THANK YOU!!

mmm... mine does the same thing. but its not so bad that it does it in traffic. and i talked to one of my friends that owns a transmission shop and he said that the clutch packs seals are probably worn and well i just need a total rebuild that would probably cost 4000 bucks from him.

Oh, ok. Well thanks for the information. But will the transmission stop working eventually all together? And if the transmission requires a whole rebuild, is there anything else that might go next?

mmm... mine does the same thing. but its not so bad that it does it in traffic. and i talked to one of my friends that owns a transmission shop and he said that the clutch packs seals are probably worn and well i just need a total rebuild that would probably cost 4000 bucks from him.

yes in the long run it will just not engage. the trans seems to be the weak point in these cars but not much goes maybe suspension which is normal on any car but just more noticeable on these cars, and maybe powersteering pump thats about it i think...

I say go for the rebuild, or go ahead and do a 2JZ-GTE swap with a supra TT tranny. The latter would be my choice. Either way, what goof is it to have a lexus if it doesnt work? Start saving my friend, and try and find a cheaper mechanic. Im sure sure 4000 is a highball fig. Happy Hunting

Juancho

Ok. Would it stop working while Iam driving or just eventually one day not work? And How long do you think the car has before it won't engage? I already have close to 186 thousend miles on it. Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.

yes in the long run it will just not engage. the trans seems to be the weak point in these cars but not much goes maybe suspension which is normal on any car but just more noticeable on these cars, and maybe powersteering pump thats about it i think...

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'll take it into consideration.

I say go for the rebuild, or go ahead and do a 2JZ-GTE swap with a supra TT tranny.  The latter would be my choice.  Either way, what goof is it to have a lexus if it doesnt work?  Start saving my friend, and try and find a cheaper mechanic.  Im sure sure 4000 is a highball fig.  Happy Hunting

Juancho

i cant really tell you how the tranny will fail because i have not experienced it but my friend sais that eventually it wont go in to gear. and well 4000 bucks isnt a bad price becasue he does everything meaning taking out the trans rebuilding everything and putting it back in. and if you have ever taken an auto trans appart and rebuilt it you will want to charge a price like that because trans work is very teadious it requires absolute cleanliness or the trans will fail. and the reason why my friend charges so much is because he is know to have the cleanest shop on the island.

anyway i went down to the dealer this morning and priced out a trans for the sc400. the price through my account is something like $2360 with a $1000 core meaning that you pay like $3400 and get a grand back when you take the old trans back.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for the advice.

i cant really tell you how the tranny will fail because i have not experienced it but my friend sais that eventually it wont go in to gear. and well 4000 bucks isnt a bad price becasue he does everything meaning taking out the trans rebuilding everything and putting it back in. and if you have ever taken an auto trans appart and rebuilt it you will want to charge a price like that because trans work is very teadious it requires absolute cleanliness or the trans will fail. and the reason why my friend charges so much is because he is know to have the cleanest shop on the island.

anyway i went down to the dealer this morning and priced out a trans for the sc400. the price through my account is something like $2360 with a $1000 core meaning that you pay like $3400 and get a grand back when you take the old trans back.