Want To Replace My Transmission Fluid.

svarog

Hello, I have changed my transmission fluid filter and saw that my transmission fluid was very bad and burned and looks just like oil. I want it to be red! So I am thinking of opening the plug, let some flow out, add more, drive around, open plug add more and so on untill it is totally replaced. Has anyone done this? How many quarts would I need? I searched the forum and found posts where someone let some out and added more but noone that replaced all of it.

Also, is there a automatic drain plug for transmission like the one at fumotovalve.com?

Edited by svarog

You found "a" post where someone added and replaced some but not all.

Try searching again, there is more than enough answers to give ou a perfect idea of what you are looking for ,you just have to want to spend the time to find it.

Okay, If its there then I'll find it!

This is what I was talking about:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=11844

but he only replaced 4 quarts, I thought there was something like 16 quarts in the es300 and only some comes out by letting it drain, the rest is in the engine somewhere.

yes only 4 is needed. The rest is in lines, Torque Converter (TC) . Unless someone knows how to drain th TC (not via disconnecting lines, or flush), you only need 4qts. My last truck had a drain plug on the TC, nice set up but it took 32 qts.

I've already changed 4 qt though and because the rest is burnt it mixes with new fluid and makes it look burnt too. I want to keep draining 4qts and filling it up untill all of it is new, just don't know how much fluid i'll need for that to work.

I've already changed 4 qt though and because the rest is burnt it mixes with new fluid and makes it look burnt too. I want to keep draining 4qts and filling it up untill all of it is new, just don't know how much fluid i'll need for that to work.

It will take a few drains to clean it up. Also how long are your drains and with what fluid?

I use Amsoil and go 30 to 40K miles on my cars and it smells sweet and looks new when draining out. I am not promoting Amsoil here but I would look into a better fliud and or a shorter drains. Or maybe something is up with the tranny. I would start with fluid first.

I don't think anything is wrong, just that it hasn't been replaced in long time. I am using Valvoline Max Life DEXRON III Mercon and I let fluid drain out until it stops leaking. You said its a few drains, so maybe 5 or 6? Thats not too many and I can manage that! I did not want it to be 20+ times or something ridiculuous like that and be a waste of time. Thanks!

Hello, I have changed my transmission fluid filter and saw that my transmission fluid was very bad and burned and looks just like oil. I want it to be red! So I am thinking of opening the plug, let some flow out, add more, drive around, open plug add more and so on untill it is totally replaced. Has anyone done this? How many quarts would I need? I searched the forum and found posts where someone let some out and added more but noone that replaced all of it.

Also, is there a automatic drain plug for transmission like the one at fumotovalve.com?

Why not flush the tranny at home? all you need is to do following.

1) Open the bottom cover so that you can see radiator from bottom

2) Remove the clip on the transmissoin line that is going in the radiator towards the right(passenger) side of the car.

3) Remove the rubber hose from radiator that is going from tranny to cooler inside radiator area

4) place rubber hose in the bucket and run the car and drain out 2 quarts by starting car and leaving in Parking gear. Stop the car when it drains about 2qts. Have someone to start and stop the car

5) put 2 qts of new ATf through tranny dipstick

6) Repeat step 4 and 5 until you see clean fluid coming out of the rubber hose

7) Remember to replace exact amount of fluid that you drained out at the end.

For example, you can't measure what is coming out of the rubber hose but you can fill all that into bigger container like 4 gal container or so. At the end of the process make sure you have put in exact the amount that was drained.

Another gotcha is to drain out only 2 quarts or so otherwise you will see air starts coming out from rubber hose with fluid which you should avoid.

When I did the same after buying 98 Es300 it took about 12 qts (6 iterations of steps 4 and 5 above) to replace entire fluid.

Feel free to email me or PM me if you need further help on this.