Calling While In Motion

In the world of the sue happy i would lean toward the toyota side of the law equation.

I may hate some of there technology defeating but in the end it is the only way to prevent an accident being blamed on them in anyway.

Not really. Don't you think it is pretty dangerous to have to pull your car over to the shoulder on a speeding highway to make a call? Or to take your eyes off the road and tap the little buttons on your handset?

Wait till somebody gets into an accident that way.

wait? wait till somebody gets in an accident?? too late...its already happened....

Exactly ! The idea of stopping the car to make a phone call is an accident waiting to happen. Calling in Motion should be a dealer-configurable CIP (Coding and Individualized Programming) option like in BMW.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to put this into word without pics.

1.Remove bezel around shifter start at the bottom 4 clips

2.remove heated seat panel cig lighter 2 clips pull it toward you

3.you will see 2 gold 10mm bolts remove them 4. now you have to get your head down low and look up you will see a 10mm gold bolt on both sides of the radio remove them becareful not to lose them. 5. You need to grab the bottom of the radio and give it a little tug there is a couple of clips holding it in. 6. Now unplug 2 antenna's and 3 plugs going to the radio remove and set it aside.

7. Now that the radio is out of the way you will see 2 silver 10mm bolts facing up holding in the nav screen remove them.

8. Now tug on the bottom of the nav screen a couple of times and it should come out.

9. Have another person in the driver seat to hold the nav screen so you can do the work.

10. From the passenger seat when you look at the the back of the nav screen you will see a baby blue wire at the bottom left corner of the plug.

11. That baby blue wire cut it far enough away from the radio so you can reconnect it if you want to and tape both sides.

Now put it all back together in reverse.

And now you can dial from nav screen while driving.

This fix is for rx330/rx400

There is a module you can get i saw from some prius owners which allow you to work the nav and the bluetooth while in motion, sorry i don't remember the name of it or where but it is about $100 and taps a few wires behind the radio.

It is locked out for basic legal reasons ,you can;t blame Lexus for that. You can only blame the thousands of idiots who loose concentration while driving because they are talking on a cell phone getting in an accident as the reason which affects all of us.

Sorry, but the web page messed up and I don't think my reply to this post was posted. Here it is: "Does anyone know where to find this bypass module?"

Where you able to find the link? I'm looking for that device.

Thanks,

Hootan

I'll try to put this into word without pics.

1.Remove bezel around shifter start at the bottom 4 clips

2.remove heated seat panel cig lighter 2 clips pull it toward you

3.you will see 2 gold 10mm bolts remove them                                  4. now you have to get your head down low and look up you will see a 10mm gold bolt on both sides of the radio remove them becareful not to lose them.                                                                                        5. You need to grab the bottom of the radio and give it a little tug there is a couple of clips holding it in.                                                        6. Now unplug 2 antenna's and 3 plugs going to the radio remove and set it aside.

7. Now that the radio is out of the way you will see 2 silver 10mm bolts facing up holding in the nav screen remove them.

8.  Now tug on the bottom of the nav screen a couple of times and it should come out.

9. Have another person in the driver seat to  hold the nav screen so you can do the work.

10. From the passenger seat when you look at the the back of the nav screen you will see a baby blue wire at the bottom left corner of the plug.

11. That baby blue wire cut it far enough away from the radio so you can reconnect it if you want to and tape both sides.

Now put it all back together in reverse.

And now you can dial from nav screen while driving.

This fix is for rx330/rx400

Interesting. Does that disable anything else?

thanks,

Hootan

No it just allows you to dial off the nav screen while driving.

This has no effect on any of the Nav functions? I thought that the speed sensor was required so the Nav unit can continue projecting your course if the GPS signal is blocked for a period of time (e.g. going through a tunnel).

I assume you have already done this to your car. Have you had any problems with it? Along with the hidden access service screen which enables all the nav functions while in motion, this would seem to solve all those stupid issues.

Plenty of cars, the nav has its own VSS wire. The baby blue wire only sends VSS to the display to shut down the bluetooth keypad.That is part of the reason it needs to be done behind the display. TESTED.

All the new lexus cars have a wire for this disable different color wire of coarse. GS you have to find two wires. SC is a pain in the butt to get the nav screen out of the dash. And the LS is tricky.

Plenty of cars, the nav has its own VSS wire. The baby blue wire only sends VSS to the display to shut down the bluetooth keypad.That is part of the reason it needs to be done behind the display.  TESTED.

All the new lexus cars have a wire for this disable different color wire of coarse. GS you have to find two wires. SC is a pain in the butt to get the nav screen out of the dash. And the LS is tricky.

Hey Zube....

You

are

a

GOD!!!!

It works great and took all of 20 minutes to do. Can't thank you enough. That phone was driving me crazy. With this, the service screen that allows you to overide the Navigation system motion restriction and my XM radio installed the car is finally where I want it to be.

Thanks again....

jashev what xm unit did you install? I've been doing some reading and I hear that the factory xm or sirius will work with the rx400/rx330 even know ther is no am/sat button. And also were my instuctions easy to follow?

• 2 weeks later...
jashev what xm unit did you install? I've been doing some reading and I hear that the factory xm or sirius will work with the rx400/rx330 even know ther is no am/sat button. And also were my instuctions easy to follow?

Sorry it took so long to answer this.

Your instructions for enabling the phone were absolultely perfect. The sat unit I installed came from this guy on the web who had been installing them in prius'. His url is http://www.factoryinteractive.com/. I went to his place in north jersey to install the unit since he had never put one in an rx400 before.

The unit we installed had a toyota tag on it. I think the price for his kit was reasonable. He had to make up a wiring harness to be installed in line with the radio plugs. To access the sat channels, I just hit the band button and it scrolls through 3 sat bands. The only glitch is the display says "TAT1" instead of SAT1. Other than that it functions perfectly. If you want more info, I can try to get some numbers off the unit itself.

Jon

Try this trick, a hidden menu, to override the display lockout, if you don't want to cut wires:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.p...42&postcount=10

This will enable your navigation functions, however your phone will still be locked when you are in motion. I've used this for awhile. Zube's wire cutting solution took me all of 20 minutes and works perfectly and affects nothing else.

Jon

I agree with the posts after my first one. The service menu override only affects the NAV and not the Bluetooth phone. The motion restriction on the NAV does not appear to be related to the phone somehow.

Zube's Nov 17 2005, 10:52 AM post explains why; the baby blue wire only sends VSS to the display to shut down the bluetooth keypad.

So if you want to dial the integrated phone and also use the NAV in motion, do you need to do both procedures??

I agree with the posts after my first one.  The service menu override only affects the NAV and not the Bluetooth phone.  The motion restriction on the NAV does not appear to be related to the phone somehow.

Zube's Nov 17 2005, 10:52 AM post explains why; the baby blue wire only sends VSS to the display to shut down the bluetooth keypad.

So if you want to dial the integrated phone and also use the NAV in motion, do you need to do both procedures??

Yes

To be clear, the Zube's Nov 17 2005, 10:52 AM post won't free up the NAV, and only the Bluetooth phone lockout?

That is correct. Zube's wire cutting fix solves the phone issue, the NAV gets freed up from the hidden service screen.

Jashev I did Two RX 330's yesterday one with XM one with Sirius I used the factory ES 330 kits. And what is funny I was just posting it in the RX330 section and I put in it that the only weird thing was that the display spelled out TAT instead of SAT and then I seen your post .

Jashev I did Two RX 330's yesterday one with XM one with Sirius I used the factory ES 330 kits. And what is funny I was just posting it in the RX330 section and I put in it that the only weird thing was that the display spelled out TAT instead of SAT and then I seen your post .

Yup. It's pretty strange, but since I like three letter acronyms so much I gave it a name. It stands for Toyota Audio Technology (TAT) :whistles: .

Did you make changes in the radio wiring harness? Do you do this stuff for a living?

• 2 weeks later...

Zube, I have a customer who wants to put XM in his RX330. Lexus is telling him the ES330 kit won't work. Can you drop me an email, so I can ask you a couple questions?

Thanks,

Toby Johnson

T&J Elite Customs, Inc.

Oldsmar, FL 34677

sales@tjelitecustoms.com

Edited by TJ Elite Customs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

I just tried out the wire-cutting trick, but my phone still doesn't work while driving.

I found the light blue wire (bottom row, left ) in the left plug, and cut it, but to no avail.

My car only gor delivered on Friday, did Lexus change sth.? Or is there a difference with the models delivered here in Europe ?

Can anyone help me out?