Emissions Results Question

I inherited a 2001 GS300 with 16500 miles on it as of now. To register it in California I had to get it smogged (emissions test). It passed, but the results seem kind of strange to me. I wonder if it means there is something wrong with the emissions system or engine.

These numbers mean very little to me, but I thought I would include them.

MPH RPM %CO2 %O2

15 1660 15.0 0.1

25 1591 15.1 0.1

HC(PPM)

MPH MAX AVE RESULT

15 49 4 5

25 33 4 0

CO(%)

MPH MAX AVE RESULT

15 .47 .01 .01

25 .44 .01 .00

NO(PPM)

MPH MAX AVE RESULT

15 409 16 0

25 696 18 181

What is with that 181? It is way, way above the average, although well below the max. It's just that the car passed all other tests so well, I don't get what that number means, and if it indicates a problem.

There were a lot of other things they tested that don't give numbers, just pass. Things like EGR, O2 Sensor, Fuel Evaporative Control, Cat Converter, etc...

Is that number anything to worry about or is that typical for a 2001 GS300 with 16k miles?

Thanks for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

These numbers mean very little to me, but I thought I would include them.

MPH RPM %CO2 %O2

15 1660 15.0 0.1

25 1591 15.1 0.1

HC(PPM)

MPH MAX AVE RESULT

15 49 4 5

25 33 4 0

CO(%)

MPH MAX AVE RESULT

15 .47 .01 .01

25 .44 .01 .00

NO(PPM)

MPH MAX AVE RESULT

15 409 16 0

25 696 18 181

As long as you passed I wouldn't worry about it. Your NO looks kind of strange though. At 15 MPH the result is 0 but at 25 its's 181, but even so you are less than 30% of the allowable amount of emissions at 25MPH.

I also bought a used GS400 from out of state and had the same result. I bought mine from Arizona, paid the taxes, had it inspected, and then smogged. The NOX was the only thing high, but still not high enough to make it fail. Everything else was at zero, or very near it.

I don't know what kind of numbers a California state car generates, so I can't compare. I called Lexus abouti t, and they said that as long as it did not turn on the "check engine" light, they could not fix it or even look at it under warranty. I wold have to pay, and they probably wouldn't find anything wrong anyway.

It has been one year now, and there have been no ill effects. If there are carbon deposits on my pistons, I don't know about it. I have run every chemical cleaner I know of through the throttle body to clean it up, but it runs the same.

I'd say quit worrying until there is a need to.