Where Is My Oil Leak Coming From?

Hi Folks,

96 es-300 -- love it!

We just took it in for an oil change, and now there is a leak. It drips down from the back of the oil pan, maybe a dozen drops after each drive.

I've checked the drain plug and the pan bolts -- they're all snug. Tonight I'll start working my way up the engine.

But...anybody have any ideas? We had the valve cover gaskets replaced 6 months ago. maybe they need to be retightened...?

Thanks,

Fred

I have the same year ES300 and I have had the same problem before right after an oil change. Apparently the oil filter is difficult to get at and many mechanics end up leaving a little residual oil on some part near the filter. The oil then gradually drips off that part, giving the impression of an oil leak, when really it is just oil the mechanic spilled. See if it goes away in a few days. In the meantime park on the street so you don't mess up your driveway and find another place to get your oil changed.

Hi Folks,

96 es-300 -- love it!

We just took it in for an oil change, and now there is a leak.  It drips down from the back of the oil pan, maybe a dozen drops after each drive.

I've checked the drain plug and the pan bolts -- they're all snug.  Tonight I'll start working my way up the engine.

But...anybody have any ideas?  We had the valve cover gaskets replaced 6 months ago.  maybe they need to be retightened...?

Thanks,

Fred

My 98 does the same thing. Junk filter design. Give it a few days to drip down or steam clean from the filter down.

If those are fine, check what Toysrme stated.

Thanks everybody! :cheers:

I'll start digging tonight when the car comes home. (It almost knows the way on its own)

It's been 3 weeks since the oil change, and the amount dripped is consistant. So it sounds more like a real leak. But I'll check everything mentioned.

The fact that it started right after the oil change is an obvious clue. I'm just not sure exactly what they did.

I've emailed them -- so far no response...

Cheers,

Fred